Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with finding soldier

donna g

I am trying to find more information on my cousin's Grandfather. His name Gustav G. or Gustave Holderer. I know he buried at Long Island National Cemetery in New York. He was in Navy and had rank RM2. I think he may have been in World War I or just after the war. I have written New York State archives for any info. Does any one have any other ideas?. Thanks for any help. dng

Hello DNG, welcome to the Forum.

There is a Gustav Holderer shown on the 1910 U.S. Federal Census {available on Ancestry}, born about 1894. It would be worthwhile looking at this, and also the previous census in 1910. I don’t know when he died, but he may appear in later censuses. If he was married during the war then his marriage certificate may show his rank and unit. Similarly, if any children were born during the war, then their birth certificates may show details. Since you know when he died it may be worthwhile to look for obituaries in local papers.

Regards,

Alf McM

From U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006 available on Ancestry site...

Name: Gustav G Holderer

Service Info.: RM2 US NAVY

Birth Date: 6 Apr 1893

Death Date: 22 Nov 1960

Service Start Date: 24 Aug 1923

Interment Date: 25 Nov 1960

Cemetery: Long Island National Cemetery

Cemetery Address: 2040 Wellwood Avenue Farmingdale, NY 11735-1211

Buried At: Section 2h Site 3873

There's also a World War I Draft Registration Card, 1917-1918 available on the same site...

Name: Gustav Holderer

City: Queens

County: Queens

State: New York

Birthplace: New York;United States of America

Birth Date: 6 Apr 1894

Race: Caucasian (White)

FHL Roll Number: 1787094

DraftBoard: 176

The card is dated June 5, 1917. I assume that means he registered for the draft but didn't necessarily get called upon to serve? I'm afraid that's all I can do, you'll need someone with expertise in tracing US servicemen to move this forward.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the information. This is person I am trying to find out about for military record. He didn't marry till 1925. I have copy of the marriage certificate. He had one child a daughter, who was born in 1926. His father had floral business and he worked for him. If he didn't enlist till Aug, 1923, he couldn't have been in World War I. How would I try to find out about him and his military record? Did they enlist for 2 years at that time?I don't know much about that time frame for military. Thanks for any advice. dng