Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this my man? - 1 Bn KRRC

Joe Walsh

I did a bit of study in the NA yesterday on Lt. Trench and from the war diary I learnt he was transferred from a previous battalion and put into C Coy. I wonder if he was the OC in the attack in which he died.

The war diary gave quite a bit of detail on his death saying he was hit by shell fragments in the chest and arm and was evacuated by stretcher several hours later afater a second attack. He DoW 2 days later they heard.

If he was OC of C Coy in the attck then the attacks report specifically mentions him:

Message recieved (timed 7am) from O.C. "C" Coy. that he had reached a traversed Communication Trench. Owing to the thick mist he had no idea where he was. No one on his flanks. Was hanging on but expected to have to withdraw.

Only one captain was mentioned in the war diary and another 2 Lt.s the rest of the officers were 2nd Lt.s.

I wonder if you'd be able to tell me if it was him that sent the message and was commanding the Coy. It was November 1916 if that helps.

Thanks,

Joe

Hello Joe,

His death would probably have been reported in the local newspapers of the time. You may find some useful information there.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hello Joe,

His death would probably have been reported in the local newspapers of the time. You may find some useful information there.

Regards,

Alf McM

it was reported, but not as much detail as the war diary gives. I'd just be interested in knowing what people think here if he was OC of C Coy or probably not.

I don't really know what happened in those days with army structure.

Regards,

Joe

Hi Joe

Are we talking KRRC?

yes, sorry I forgot to mention 1 Bn KRRC. He was also the Rt. Hon. Lt. F.S. Trench.

Regards,

Joe

I would suggest editing your title and adding 1st Bn KRRC to it. Beware though, if you do, quite a flock of the Rifle family will swoop down :thumbsup:

Please be a little more patient as it is Summer and the more astute are probably on a well-earned break before the little tykes break loose ;)