Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FREDERICK JONES AIF.

Guest david 58

Guest david 58

Hello all,

Im not sure if this topic is in the right forum, its my first post.

Fred Jones was my UNCLE!! He served as a Gunner in 50th. Batt. 13th. Field Artillery - 5th Div, 1st. AIF.

He enlisted on 12/7/1915, and saw action at the Battle of Fromelles on the 19 - 20 July 1916.

His B103 Casualty Form states that he was transferred to Brigade HQ. on 2/4/1916 place; looks like "Moascar",- (hard to read

Form is mostly written in long hand.) before embarkation at Alexandria. Could someone pls. explain what his probable duties would have been at HQ.? and why would Fred have been sent there?

He had various bouts of sick to hospital and I assume there were injuries but this form does not detail this although another form; B213, is noted in the remarks column. I dont have a B213 form amongst the attestation papers, and a letter from Base Records Office dated 12/6/1933 does not list it. Frederick Jones died in 1933, at age 50.

I wonder if the clue lies in his pre-war occupation - tailor's cutter. Perhaps he was the Bde tailor ?

Took a while to find him - no 268 GNR Frederick Thomas JONES . Unusual in that he maintained the same number through his term even though transferred to RAA.

Guest david 58

Thanks Guys,

Uncle Fred started in 29 Batt, 8th Brigade Private 268, Born Wolverhampton, England 1883.

My dad was 64 when I was born in 1952, thats how come fred was my uncle. I would dearly love to

see a photograph of him, but none available from AWM. or the Darge Collection.

I wonder why so little is written about the Artillery generally, after all, they were targeted by the enemy,

being unable to change position on the battle field, like infantry could, therefore the risk would have been immense,

not to mention the noise and percussion from the gun.

Are there any other wounded and missing files apart from the red cross files from the AWM? - which should be termed

'killed in action and missing'- a bit misleading. :unsure:

RAA records here

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/war_diari...sp?levelID=1519

All 19 pages of service records here

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/ima...mp;I=1&SE=1

First World War Embarkation Roll - Frederick Thomas Jones

Frederick Thomas Jones

Service number: 268

Roll title: 29 Infantry Battalion (November 1915)

Conflict: First World War, 1914-1918

Date of embarkation: 10 November 1915

Place of embarkation: Melbourne

Ship embarked on: HMAT Ascanius

Ship number: A11