Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Royal Scots at Frezenberg 1917

wurz

hi

I've done a bit of research and just got back from Ypres and the Frezenberg area.

My Great Grandfather Alex Watt no; 39205 , died attacking Vampir, Borry & Potsdam Farms on the 22nd August 1917 with the 13th Royal Scots.

I've photographed the fields and farms in this area for my records. I even spoke to the farmer who owns the area.

If anybody wants to see what the ground looks like now in this area, let me know.

I've got maps and aerial shots as well. Hooray, I've stood in the field on top of the Time Team Vampire Dug out looking at the Bremen Redoubt !

Is there anyone out there (especially inc. Tom, Martin & Malcom.) who can give me info on the 13th Royal Scots whereabouts in Jan & Feb 1918

as I'm trying to find out about Alex' brother David Watt no; 39560 also 13th Batt. Royal Scots who died 14th Feb 1918 in a London ? hospital of his wounds. ?

He is on Brookwood memorial & buried in Balgay Cemetery in Dundee.

I've tried Ancestry.co.uk & Archives site with no luck. I've got their CWGC certificates etc.

Anyone have a copy of the War Diary or can you just go to the museum in the castle ?

hoping for a favourable reply or two

I have the war diary in the house, I will check after work for you.

John

thanks John,

I've also got photos of the Frezenberg Scottish Memorial,

Tynecot Cemetery, Sanctuary Wood & Cemetery & Passendale area & Cemetery

for anyone that wants them.

Anyone that wants photos of the 85th Nova Scotia Highlanders memorial and battlefield of 27th - 31st Oct 1917

inc. Canadian cemetery at Passendale, let me know.

regards to all

remembering ;

Alex C. Watt....... no; 39205... 13th Royal Scots 22/8/1917 attacking Potsdam Pillbox.

Harry Watt......... no ; 8478.... 1st Batt Leinster Reg. 12/5/1915 attacking trenches with bayonet at Sanctuary Wood.

David Watt......... no; 39560... 13th Royal Scots 14/2/1918 buried in Balgay Cemetery, Dundee

Thomas Watt survived as POW

James Leslie....... no; 27977... 16th Royal Scots 22/10/1917 attacking Turenne Crossroads pillbox

Frank Leslie........ no; 133253.. 85th Nova Scotia Highlanders 31/10/1917 attacking Vienna Cot pillbox from Decline Copse

Ken

Ken

Got home only to find that I only have the diary up to December,1917. I run out of time when I was copying unfortunately. I know that during the winter of 17/18 the 15th Division was in front of Arras, the history of the RS states "The diary of the 13th Royal Scots for the first few months of the year contains scarcely a reference to the storm that was brewing, and regales us chiefly with details of working parties."

John

Hi John,

just in from night shift, thanks for checking.

I've got his CWGC cert etc and day of death back in London, but can't get any other papers relating to his service, unlike some other relatives.

For James Leslie 16th Royal Scots, I got about 20 pages of service records, inc hospital stays back in the UK and all his postings, letters & Army forms to his next of kin with effects etc.

some I guess you are lucky with and others......not a jot ! :angry2:

very frustrating.!

so I don;t know if David got his injuries in Dec , Jan or Feb, finally dying on Feb 14th 1918.

Were there any big battles/actions in Nov or Dec that he maybe got a serious injury that meant he lived for another few months ?

If so, any idea where they were ?

No records for him on Archives or Ancestry.co.uk

many thanks

you've helped me with research before and I appreciate your efforts.

regards

Ken

ps; did you see the time team special on the lost dugout Vampire ?

you can get it on 4OD on youtube. Have you been to the area ?

It was amazing to be standing on the same spots as Tony Robinson and looking at the same farms (rebuilt) that your Great Grandfather was attacking nearly 100 years ago. :thumbsup:

15th Division history gives January tyraining culminating in a Brigade exercise on 26th near Wailly. February, reorganisation of Division an relief of 14th Division on the right sector of XVII Corps front ie from Noyelle Vion to Arras.

Dashing out, pm me for more details.

Pvt Maitland Telford died that day as well.

Aye

Malcolm

13th Royal Scots casualties ORs

November 1917 - 8 kia 12 wounded

December 1917 - 2 kia 13 wounded

January 1918 - nil nil

February1918 - nil 11 wounded

so it wasn't January.

and the relief was for 4th Division not 14th - must be getting old and decrepit.

Aye

Malcolm