Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J A Pringle of Amble Photographer

Milner

Hi All

This was first posted in documents and photographs but did not get a response, so one more try here.

Whilst researching various family members in WW1 I have come across a family member called Joshua Atkin Pringle, he was to old to serve in the forces.

But he did have his own photographic studio in Amble Northumberland before and between 1914-1920.

He must have taken many pictures of soldiers etc. from the WW1 period. If anyone has any photographs taken by him I would be very interested in seeing any copies.

His photographs had the inscription J.A. Pringle of Amble Photographer to the Royal Family on the boarder

Thanks and here's hoping.

Phil

He's listed in the 1914 Kelly's Directory of Northumberland, as a Photographer in Bridge St, Amble.

He's shown in the 1901 census, but is missing in the 1911, there are 4 J A's listed on ships leaving the UK between '01 and '11 but none listed as a photograhper

Grant

He's listed in the 1914 Kelly's Directory of Northumberland, as a Photographer in Bridge St, Amble.

He's shown in the 1901 census, but is missing in the 1911, there are 4 J A's listed on ships leaving the UK between '01 and '11 but none listed as a photograhper

Grant

Thanks Grant I have that information and wondered why.

He died in 1933 in the UK, his wife, my great great Aunt was living with him when he died in South Hylton Sunderland. She is on the 1911 census living in Bedlington as head of the household with a couple of grandchildren. But he's not around. A mystery for sure. Some photo's of WW1 soldiers would help establish if he was here or not.

Thanks

Phil

1911 Census he is living at Church Street, Amble boarding with Elizabeth Charlotte Ross.

He is transcribed as Joshua Atkin TRINGLE

Regards

Pam

Just looked at GoogleEarth for Amble, and see that Church Street joins Bridge Street.

Are you sure that the great-great aunt in question was his WIFE. Phil? Could she have been his sister-in-law, his mother, or his unmarried sister?

I was also wondering whether he might have "boarded" in Amble during the week, but lived somewhere else.

Angela