Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When is a 1st Day Loos Trio Not a 1st Day Loos Trio?

Terry

I have mentioned this on the "other" forum, but thought I would get some opinions here as well. I have just acquired a trio to 18328 Pte.D.McPherson, 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers (3rd Division); KIA 25 Sept.,1915. The 3rd Division was engaged in one of the subsidiary attacks at Bellewarde that were launched in support of the Loos attack.

Can this trio be considered a 1st Day Loos group? I see that a VC won by R.P.Hallowes of the 3rd Div. is listed with other Loos Victoria Crosses.

Cheers,

Terry

All military engagements are completely described both geographically and by start and finish. N&M Press publish a little book with the information. The action you describe is named as a subsidiary of Loos.

Hi Terry,

An interesting point, but I suppose that as many 'first days' were bolstered by subsidiary attacks simply to draw attention from the main point of attack, then strictly speaking the subsidiaries are a substantial part of that main attack and as such should be included within the description of same?

I hope you understand that!! as I seem to have tied myself in a bit of a knot!!

I am sure that others may differ, but lets wait and see?

Robert

So many young men wasted. I have a second cousin KIA at Loos on the same day (2527 Pte F W Dinham, 6th Londons)

David

I have a trio, memorial cross & ID disc to Pte A L Holland, 7th Can Inf, KIA 25/9/15 in a subsidiary feint attack. I consider him a 1st day casualty and a very interesting one at that! (Not many Canadians killed at Loos!)