Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translations for the un-educated

WATTERS2831

i have no miltary background so whilst researching my gt granfathers military history certain words and phrases have used which i know nothing about , would somebody like to explain in simple terms

attested

cadre

service battalion

"battalion in reserve"

Attested - joined up.

Cadre - usually the element of a battalion left out of an action or attack on which a battalion could be rebuilt if required.

Service battalion - raised for the duration of the War.

"Battalion in reserve" -

Battalion of a Brigade not manning the front line or taking part in an attack but held in reserve to reinforce or replace those that were

as, if and when required.

I'll have first go.

Edit (second)

Attested, took the oath on joining. After that he was a soldier.

Cadre. Tricky. The framework of NCOs and junior officers around which a unit would form. Various meanings but all based on that idea.

A service battalion was one of the New Army/ Kitchener Army battalions.

Battalion in reserve also had a contextual meaning but was what it said on the tin. A battalion which was held back for a reason. It could be at the rear of the battlefield waiting to reinforce where required or it could be part of a reserve unit held out of the front line, in the rear areas for use in emergency.

Attested, took the oath on joining. After that he was a soldier.

Not necessarily "Men who attested under the Derby Scheme were sent back to their homes and jobs until they were called up. They wore a grey armband with a red crown as a sign that they had so volunteered." They had in essence made an oath to come when called for.

Not necessarily "Men who attested under the Derby Scheme were sent back to their homes and jobs until they were called up. They wore a grey armband with a red crown as a sign that they had so volunteered." They had in essence made an oath to come when called for.

And were liable to military regulation. Not on active service but definitely soldiers. That is what the oath signified. A different story for the men who were sent away in the first rush of August and September of '14 and told to return. The Derby men were definitely committed.

Thanks guys ,

he was attested in december 1915

he was with the 8th service battalion loyal north lancs from july 1916 that was reduced to a cadre in february 1918

in may 1918 he was with the 2nd/4th loyal lancashire battalion that had "moved to the bucquoy area south of arras where the battalion was held in reserve at coignneux" it was at this time that i believe he was gassed i just wanted a clearer picture of what was happening

I believe that "Derby volunteers" were actually transferred direct to the (Regular) Army Reserve on attestation, and could be called for active service at any time thereafter. I think that this made them, in the terms of the Army Act, "subject to military law as a soldier."

It's a technical point, though.

Ron

And were liable to military regulation. Not on active service but definitely soldiers. That is what the oath signified. A different story for the men who were sent away in the first rush of August and September of '14 and told to return. The Derby men were definitely committed.

Not quite - see Hansard

Mr. CHURCHILL I have no information as to the individual case referred to by my hon. and learned Friend. A recruit attested under the Derby scheme in the circumstances stated was granted pay for one day, and then passed to the Army Reserve until called up for service. While in the Reserve he was subject to the Reserve Forces Acts, and on being called to the Colours he became subject to the Army Act and all Regulations issued under the authority of that Act.

They were in effect in the same position as time expired men who had left the regular army and were entered into the reserve - civilians until called (back) to the colours

To put the thing in context the man about whom questions in the House were raised was claiming that although spending nearly a year at home and work before being finally called up he had been a soldier for that time and could therefore claim that time against certain entitlements. The government view was that he was not - he was a civilian until called to the colours.