Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Numbers

chrisnay

Hi,

I am looking for the enlistment place for a Harry Naylor he was in the RFA/RE, his regiment number were W/1948, 197167. He is believed to have been born 22nd April 1891, maybe either in Yorkshire or Wales.

He may have had a twin brother Alan, but cannot find any evidence of him either, he was supposed to have died at the Battle of Jutland, but cannot find him on the casualty lists.

I cannot trace either attestations, and we would like to know where they enlisted.

Can anybody point me in the right direction, been researching these guys for quite a while, Harry is my husbands grandfather and not a lot in known about him.

Many thanks

Harry NaylorRegiment or Corps:Royal Field Artillery, Royal EngineersRegimental Number:W/1948, 197167Harry NaylorRegiment or Corps:Royal Field Artillery, Royal EngineersRegimental Number:W/1948, 197167

Hi,

Looking at his Medal Card

Harry Naylor

RFA no.W/1948, Rank Driver

RE no,197167

Landed in France 23 Dec 1915

Regards Mark

The prefix 'W' on his regimental number tells us that he was a member of the Welsh Brigade, RFA (I think that there were 3 or 4 Weslh Brigades). I assume that there'll be some reference to them on LLT? Or Google, I dare say.

Hi, search this forum for 'welsh div rfa' or '38 div rfa'. there were four Bdes in the Div originally but were reduced to two. All the info is in other threads. I have some copies of some pages of each Bde's war diary - especially on their way out and landing in france. Happy to send you anything I have. May take a while as I'm busy with work (curse of the modern world !) but will send when I can. You'll have to send me you e-mail via pm regards huw

Hi,

I am looking for the enlistment place for a Harry Naylor he was in the RFA/RE, his regiment number were W/1948, 197167. He is believed to have been born 22nd April 1891, maybe either in Yorkshire or Wales.

He may have had a twin brother Alan, but cannot find any evidence of him either, he was supposed to have died at the Battle of Jutland, but cannot find him on the casualty lists.

I cannot trace either attestations, and we would like to know where they enlisted.

Can anybody point me in the right direction, been researching these guys for quite a while, Harry is my husbands grandfather and not a lot in known about him.

Many thanks

Harry NaylorRegiment or Corps:Royal Field Artillery, Royal EngineersRegimental Number:W/1948, 197167Harry NaylorRegiment or Corps:Royal Field Artillery, Royal EngineersRegimental Number:W/1948, 197167

Not sure if this helps, but here goes.

I had a great uncle who also served in the 38th Division artillery support. He was driver Thomas Dally W/1908. his number is quite close to your man's he enlisted at Pontypridd in Glamorgan. He also went to France on 23rd December 1915. The medal rolls show quite a few RFA going to France on that date, possibly a unit was moved.

Regards

David

Not sure if this helps, but here goes.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, did you ever find Thomas's attestation papers.

Thanks

Chris

I had a great uncle who also served in the 38th Division artillery support. He was driver Thomas Dally W/1908. his number is quite close to your man's he enlisted at Pontypridd in Glamorgan. He also went to France on 23rd December 1915. The medal rolls show quite a few RFA going to France on that date, possibly a unit was moved.

Regards

David

Sadly none of his papers have survived.

I have been sporadically trying to identify his unit for some time without sucess up to now. I recently discovered that his c.o. was a Major Clark (or Clarke) - I shall be digging through the army lists next time I am in Kew.

Best of luck in your quest.

Regards

David