Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Charles Salmon

Paul Dorrell

Bombardier William Charles Salmon (No. 32369) aged 27 years, of 32 Siege Battery RGA, was killed in action on July 13th 1916.

I believe he is buried in the Peronne Road Cemetery in Maricourt, Somme, France.

Does anyone have access to the unit's war diary for that date? If so can you tell me where they were and what they were doing

please?

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul, Cant help with the diary but of course the date tallys with the opening of the Somme offensive on the first of the month. The siege batteries were equipped with big calibre howitzers and would have spent the previous weeks bombarding German artillery and strongpoints in readiness for 1st July. Interestingly, he is listed as Salmons (extra s) on the CWGC Debt of Honour He was the son of J John and Mary Ann Salmons, Earls Hall Cottages, Prittlewell, Southend on Sea. He was born at Southminster.

He is indeed buried in the Peronne Rd Cemetery, Maricourt - which is some 10KM on the D938 from Albert. He lies in grave I.B.3.

You possibly have this info but I hope it is of some help

Jonathan

Hi Paul, Cant help with the diary but of course the date tallys with the opening of the Somme offensive on the first of the month. The siege batteries were equipped with big calibre howitzers and would have spent the previous weeks bombarding German artillery and strongpoints in readiness for 1st July. Interestingly, he is listed as Salmons (extra s) on the CWGC Debt of Honour He was the son of J John and Mary Ann Salmons, Earls Hall Cottages, Prittlewell, Southend on Sea. He was born at Southminster.

He is indeed buried in the Peronne Rd Cemetery, Maricourt - which is some 10KM on the D938 from Albert. He lies in grave I.B.3.

You possibly have this info but I hope it is of some help

Jonathan

Thanks for that Jonathan I appreciate your help. I was hoping that the diary might mention any incoming counter battery fire - revenge fire I think it was called then. My grandfather was in the same battery, hence my interest.

Regards,

Paul

Only these 3 deaths in the unit from 1st to 14th July, all on 13th. looks like your thought on counter battery fire may be correct.

001 GILES W - 32ND SIEGE BTY 13/07/1916 ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY

002 MAKIN R 48558 32ND SIEGE BTY 13/07/1916 ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY

003 SALMONS WC 32369 32ND SIEGE BTY 13/07/1916 ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY

Possibly there is some record regarding Lt Giles death, which may include mention of 2 OR's.....

Only these 3 deaths in the unit from 1st to 14th July, all on 13th. looks like your thought on counter battery fire may be correct.

001 GILES W - 32ND SIEGE BTY 13/07/1916 ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY

002 MAKIN R 48558 32ND SIEGE BTY 13/07/1916 ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY

003 SALMONS WC 32369 32ND SIEGE BTY 13/07/1916 ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY

Possibly there is some record regarding Lt Giles death, which may include mention of 2 OR's.....

That's great stuff. Thank you.

Paul

Paul:

32 SB WD 13.7.16. Position Maricourt. 12.5 a.m.

Lt Giles, 32369 Bdr Salmon. W., 48558 Gnr Makin R. Killed by enemy shell fire. Gnr McConnell C., and McMahon P. wounded….

The conduct of the following deserves special mention on this occasion. Lt F. E. Elliot, Sgt White T., and Cpl Johnson F. When the rest of the detachment of number two gun had been either killed or wounded. Lt Elliot and Sgt White (who is still suffering from the effect of a wound he had received in the leg at Ypres) continued to fight the gun in spite of heavy shelling and gas fumes until the order to cease firing was received.

No 2 gun Reg 394 permanently out of action with a worn recuperator buffer, was pulled out of position in preparation to being sent down to base.

Rgds Paul

Paul:

32 SB WD 13.7.16. Position Maricourt. 12.5 a.m.

Lt Giles, 32369 Bdr Salmon. W., 48558 Gnr Makin R. Killed by enemy shell fire. Gnr McConnell C., and McMahon P. wounded….

The conduct of the following deserves special mention on this occasion. Lt F. E. Elliot, Sgt White T., and Cpl Johnson F. When the rest of the detachment of number two gun had been either killed or wounded. Lt Elliot and Sgt White (who is still suffering from the effect of a wound he had received in the leg at Ypres) continued to fight the gun in spite of heavy shelling and gas fumes until the order to cease firing was received.

No 2 gun Reg 394 permanently out of action with a worn recuperator buffer, was pulled out of position in preparation to being sent down to base.

Rgds Paul

Hi Paul,

Well I can't ask for any more than that can I. Chapter and verse!

Thank you very much indeed.

Regards,

Paul

Paul

with no surviving service records that I can see, you may not be aware though, that he was originally with, and went out to the WF with, the left section of 34 SB

Rgds Paul

Paul

with no surviving service records that I can see, you may not be aware though, that he was originally with, and went out to the WF with, the left section of 34 SB

Rgds Paul

Thanks again Paul.