Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

232 siege battery RGA 1917

kath.burton

looking for info on the battery and activity during Nov and Dec 1917 also where and when formed and any link to 231 SB.

My relative was Harry Cole Acting bombadier during this period...KIA |Dec 1917 near Boesinge.

We have quite alot of detail about him but would welcome anything that we could follow up especially the workings of this battery and how he may have moved into this from being an army messenger? What is an army messenger? Thanks for any help for a novice!

Kath,

I think Henry COLE was an original member of 231 Sge Bty, he enlisted in York. (There is no link to 232 that I can see upto his death).

On the 10 Dec 1917:

Weather fine. Hostile artillery activity above normal. 231 Siege Battery fired 400 rounds on PC.41. 155 rounds were observed by aeroplane….

152 Siege Battery fired 46 rounds with aeroplane observation..... Shoot had to be abandoned owing to hostile shelling.

Casualties 231 SB 1 OR killed, 1 OR wounded. 152 SB 2 OR's killed, 2 OR's wounded

Source 3 Bde RGA WD. Its HQ was positioned at map ref B24b 2.8 Boesinghe.

Rgds Paul

PS I think it is only 5 posts you require before the PM facility becomes available to you