Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Alexander McFarlane - Royal Artillery or Royal Engineers ?

GordonMac

Trying to get service details of my grandfather John Alexander McFarlane (born Fort George 27/04/1879 and died Denny 25/09/1952) but having real difficulty finding anything regarding his First World War record. According to the family, he was in the Royal Artillery but the lack of info spring seeds of doubt that he might have been too old for military service – 1914 would make him 35 on enlistment – ?

Have been given possible numbers but they appear to be for the Royal Engineers - WR/100375 WR/100406

Anybody help ?

GM

Awarded the British War and Victory Medals. He wouldn't have entered a war zone until after 1915 as he had no 1914 or 1914-15 Star. No service record readily appears on Ancestry UK.

Sotonmate

GM

Awarded the British War and Victory Medals. He wouldn't have entered a war zone until after 1915 as he had no 1914 or 1914-15 Star. No service record readily appears on Ancestry UK.

Sotonmate

Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, I've had a PM from a gentleman who thinks this might be him as the surname had been wrongly spelt

John MacFarlane (John McFarlane) 45BDE R.F.A. 34685 then AVC 1088. I think the easiest way would be to find out if there was any Scottish connections to the 45 brigade or Army Vetinery Corps ?

Confused...

Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, I've had a PM from a gentleman who thinks this might be him as the surname had been wrongly spelt

John MacFarlane (John McFarlane) 45BDE R.F.A. 34685 then AVC 1088. I think the easiest way would be to find out if there was any Scottish connections to the 45 brigade or Army Vetinery Corps ?

Confused...

Are there any records which would show date of births ?