Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Thomas Stuart

st helena

Hi,

Does any one have any acess to the War Diaries of the 2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters from WW1? My ancestor Pte Thomas Stuart was in that Battalion till end of December 1917,when he died & is buried in Abbyville Cemetery! I would like to get a copy of the War Diary for my Family research.

His Army number was: 12170.

Plus how can I Attach a larger file (Photo,etc) to a request like this Please?

Thank You.

Are you talking about the whole diary of just the date around his death? I have the book on 1st and 2nd Bns.

The 2nd Battalion moved back on 12th december 1917 and he was one of 125 ORs wounded. 'A' and 'D' Companies were in the front line 5 -12 December with 'B' and 'C' in support - Ribecourt area. It was 'quiet but the back area were heavily shelled by the Germans. It is possible that he was wounded during the chnage over on 12th.

Soldiers died in the Great War has -

Stuart, T born - Riddings Derbys, enlisted - Derby , abode Codnor 12170, Pte ,Died of Wounds, France and Flanders, 20/12/1917

Have you looked to see if his records are on Ancestry? and also his Medal Index Card. or here for MIC http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=50

Only the period 1914 to 1915 seem to be online for the Battalion, so a visit to the National Archives would be needed

(unless a certain BRONNO is watching :D )

Steve M

PS - images have to be less than 100k

Hi,

Thanks for the Info, I have a copy of Thomas Stuart's Photo in a newscutting about his wounds & gassing & dieing of old wounds! & buried in Abbyville Cemetery in Northan France!

Whats does it say in that book for the month of December 1917? are there any photos of the Unit? soldiers?

Thank you for your help!

Abbeville. Have you got his CWGC entry? if not www.cwgc.org

It does not have any photos of men. The Battalion took part in the Battle of Cambrai and it is possible he was wounded then.

There are three pages on December 1917.

http://www.ypressalient.co.uk/ You can find my email address via this website. Email me and I will send copies of the pages you need.

Steve M

12170 Thomas Stuart would have enlisted between 9 Dec 1913 (#12162) and 2 Jun 1914 (#12176) [source: 'N&D Silver War Badge Roll', compiled by James O'Hara, 2009].

Below is the Victory/BWM roll entry:

post-6340-1277846902.jpg

It shows that at some stage he served with the 1st Bn., between two stints with the 2nd Bn.

Stuart