Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lieut R Hall-Watt

Bardess

I am in a bit of a quandry. I am transcribing 1st Bn Grenadier Guards War Diary and the entry for 13th October says that 2/Lieut Hall-Watt was killed during the day. On checking his details on CWGC I found that he is recorded as dying on 13th November 1917. I then had a look at his stone and that also says November. I contacted CWGC to suggest that the WD mentioned October. Could the WD be wrong? Have I jumped in too quickly? Ponders ... :(

One wonders how the diary could be that wrong - usually they're written on the day/next day aren't they. Whoever wrote the diary must have had good predicting powers to write of a death a month before it happened. ....................................... but I could be wrong of course :o

His death was announced in The Times, 23 October 1917, under the heading 'Fallen Officers':

SECOND LIEUTENANT RICHARD HALL WATT, Grenadier Guards, killed on October 13, aged 19, was the eldest son of the late Ernest Hall Watt and Mrs. Eyre, of Bishop Burton, Beverley. He was educated at Ludgrove, Eton College, and Sandhurst, obtaining a commission in November, 1916.

Oh, thank goodness for that. Thanks Poppy and Kim. Looks like the stone will need to be changed too then :thumbsup:

List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War MCMXIV-MCMXIX shows his date of death as 13 October 1917 and the 25 October 1917 issue of The Eton College Chronicle shows him as having died. This would seem to support 'poppy3's information. Dick Flory