Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RUSSKI INVALID

John Gilinsky

Does anyone know where I can find the Russian official military journal "RUSSKI INVALID" printed and published in St. Petersburg / Petrograd up to 1918 from about the mid-19th century especially of course January 1, 1914 to January 1, 1918 volumes/issues? Undoubtedly the Moscow central military historical archives or the Russian National Library has this journal but does anyone else have complete or nearly complete volumes / issues covering 1914 to the fall of 1917 at least?

Thanks

John

Toronto

• 2 weeks later...

Hello John,

The British Newspaper Library in London, has copies of the Russkii Invalid from 1813 to 1915 and also the ones printed in Paris between 1931 to 1940. Their address is the British Library Newspaper Library, Colindale Avenue, London, NW9 5HE

Tel: 020 7412 7353 E-mail newspaper@bl.uk,

The volumes covering 1911 to 1915 have been microfilmed so they may be able to supply a copy of the film to you.

Hope this helps.

Ally

Thanks so much for this. I strongly suspected that they would have a nearly complete set. This official military newspaper was put out by the Russian General Staff during WWI. The history of the paper itself makes for fascinating reading: a liberal military organ founded to aid war victims at the end of the Napoleonic wars; part of the liberalist reform minded Russian intelligentsia's concerns over the lack of modernization and progress in Russia as the 19th century wore on, etc.... Publising controversial articles over the decades, etc.... and surviving for so long. I believe it was published until late 1917 or early 1918. Moreover it is invaluable for its notices of appointments, awards, decorations, etc....

John

Toronto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Teghist,

I have just finished sending you a message when I saw this posting, so let me know if you do not receive it, although I could not help much.

Best wishes

Ally