Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Agnes Maguire ARRC

Lauramck

Hello from a new poster with a Salonika obsession. My grandmother served with QAIMNS from the end of 1916 to 1919. She was awarded the ARRC in July 1920. The reason is unclear. Her service record (costly and incomplete) adds no information - no citation. likewise the medal roll gives no reason. The story from my father is that she was invited onto a ship for Christmas dinner (so 1916 or 1917) and they were shelled. She and her two colleagues tended the wounded before they apparently resumed dinner. I can find no record of this event . Any ideas? Could it have been HS Goorkha

My grandmother went first to Egypt on the HS Goorkha ( Menu from Dec 1916) before moving on to Salonika. She also worked on the HS Neuralia in 1917 (I have a menu from Easter Sunday). As far as I can see she was attached to the 2/1st Northumbrian Field Ambulance in Salonika or Stavros. I have an extensive collection of photographs including some of a Captain Dr Harvey Evers RAMC (and some letters form him also). If anyone has any information on the NFA or their work or Qaimns in Salonika I would be very interested to hear from you.

Many thanks

Laura

Laura

There were many thousands of RRC/ARRC awards during the war, and there were never citations for them. They were decided purely on personal recommendation - i.e. a couple of times each year the Principal Matron in each theatre of war would invite her matrons to submit names of women who had worked well, probably above expectations, over a longish period; these recommendations would then be submitted to the Director of Medical Services for approval, and forwarding to the War Office. There was a strict limit on the number of awards given, so often the lists would be returned for pruning, or at worst, the War Office would just chop a few off themselves. But usually each area knew how many they were allowed of each class and submitted accordingly. So they were not usually awarded for a single occurrence of good work, unless it went along with general 'beyond the call of duty.' I'm often surprised at the fact that some women seemed to have glowing reports throughout their time, and never received an award of any sort, and perhaps in a few cases it was a matter of a face fitting in with what a matron required (or not!).

I've got a digital copy of the RRC Register here, and to give some idea of numbers, your grandmother's award was number 11798. Only about 250 awards were made prior to the Great War, so all those thousands were wartime awards. The date of the London Gazette in which the ARRC was announced was 3rd June 1919, and the page says 'Decorated at Dublin, 4/8/20.' If you would like a copy of the page, let me know, although you won't be able to use the PM or email system until you have five posts, but there's a contact email on my website link below.

Regards --- Sue

Laura

There were many thousands of RRC/ARRC awards during the war, and there were never citations for them. They were decided purely on personal recommendation - i.e. a couple of times each year the Principal Matron in each theatre of war would invite her matrons to submit names of women who had worked well, probably above expectations, over a longish period; these recommendations would then be submitted to the Director of Medical Services for approval, and forwarding to the War Office. There was a strict limit on the number of awards given, so often the lists would be returned for pruning, or at worst, the War Office would just chop a few off themselves. But usually each area knew how many they were allowed of each class and submitted accordingly. So they were not usually awarded for a single occurrence of good work, unless it went along with general 'beyond the call of duty.' I'm often surprised at the fact that some women seemed to have glowing reports throughout their time, and never received an award of any sort, and perhaps in a few cases it was a matter of a face fitting in with what a matron required (or not!).

I've got a digital copy of the RRC Register here, and to give some idea of numbers, your grandmother's award was number 11798. Only about 250 awards were made prior to the Great War, so all those thousands were wartime awards. The date of the London Gazette in which the ARRC was announced was 3rd June 1919, and the page says 'Decorated at Dublin, 4/8/20.' If you would like a copy of the page, let me know, although you won't be able to use the PM or email system until you have five posts, but there's a contact email on my website link below.

Regards --- Sue

Thank you Sue

I can't believe the speed of that response. Well that figure of > 11,000 awards certainly puts it all in perspective- and makes sense. I have a copy of the Gazette page for 1919 but not for the date in 1920 and thank you for your offer. I am still fascinated by the accounts ofthose who worked here and the freedom it must have given on one level amid all the chaos and suffering. So any pointers are most welcome.

Thanks again

Laura

3rd June 1919 will be the Birthday Honours list, and therefore a periodic (as opposed for a specific act) award, bearing in mind Sue's observation that most of them were.

Thanks for the info about honurs list. If anyone is interested I have a large photo album-albeit with small photos. I will post a few - showing life at a field hospital(I think! ). I have a lot of the names if anyone wants to know.

Laura

The view is from the roof of the hospital in salonika

post-55469-1277925354.jpg

post-55469-1277925367.jpg

post-55469-1277925414.jpg

Thanks for the info about honurs list. If anyone is interested I have a large photo album-albeit with small photos. I will post a few - showing life at a field hospital(I think! ). I have a lot of the names if anyone wants to know.

Laura

The view is from the roof of the hospital in salonika

Forgot to say, that the lady with the umbrella is Miss Gorman Matron.

post-55469-1277925597.jpg

post-55469-1277925623.jpg

Thanks for those Laura. Some people here might know I have a bit a 'thing' about folding canvas wash-stands :lol: . I assume that the two women in the top picture are on a mission to wash their smalls in one - or any other ideas? And could the matron possible be O'Gorman, rather than Gorman?

Sue

Thanks for those Laura. Some people here might know I have a bit a 'thing' about folding canvas wash-stands :lol: . I assume that the two women in the top picture are on a mission to wash their smalls in one - or any other ideas? And could the matron possible be O'Gorman, rather than Gorman?

Sue

Certainly looks like they are! Back of photo says Gorman. Was there an a Matron O'Gorman in Salonika?

Lots of other photos. Quality not the best but what stands out is what a good time they seem to be having. If anyone is interested in medical staff in salonika or Egypt I may have a photo of relevance.

Laura

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Laura,

I have only just found this thread (been on holiday) and I would be very interested to see more of your photos, if you care to post them.

Your rooftop view is interesting. It's the view from the roof of the Papafeio Orphanage, which was used by British No.42 General Hospital from Aug 1916 until Sep 1917, when the building was "requisitioned" by GHQ, and 42 GH was moved to Kalamaria. The orphanage is (I think) the building in the background o your first photo of the two "washerwomen".)

The Imperial War Museum has some similar pictures taken from the rooftop by sister H.K. Moore, of the view to the east, but yours seems to show the view more to the northeast. The tents in the foreground belong to 42 GH, but beyond the wall are the buildings and huts of the Italian Military Hospital in the grounds of the Reina Margherita civilian hospital, the main building of which is off to the left your photo. (See

for then-and-now photos).

I'm sure I've heard/read of a Miss Gorman in relation to Salonika hospitals, but I can't quite remember where!

Adrian

• 3 months later...

Hi Adrian

Thanks for for your reply way back in July!! Apologies for not posting - no excuses. I have some more photos, mostly people but you may recognise the background. I have some names if anyone is interested.

Laura

post-55469-029727200 1288730877.gif

post-55469-074653300 1288731111.gif

post-55469-091012100 1288731208.gif

P1020761.gif

soccer-team-stavros.gif

outside-hut.gif

• 1 year later...
Guest charliegadget

Hi Laura,

I am Captain Dr Harvey-Evers grandson and I would be very grateful for any info and photos you might be able to provide regarding him.

my email address is charlie "at" harveyevers "dot" com

Thanks

Charlie

Hello from a new poster with a Salonika obsession. My grandmother served with QAIMNS from the end of 1916 to 1919. She was awarded the ARRC in July 1920. The reason is unclear. Her service record (costly and incomplete) adds no information - no citation. likewise the medal roll gives no reason. The story from my father is that she was invited onto a ship for Christmas dinner (so 1916 or 1917) and they were shelled. She and her two colleagues tended the wounded before they apparently resumed dinner. I can find no record of this event . Any ideas? Could it have been HS Goorkha

My grandmother went first to Egypt on the HS Goorkha ( Menu from Dec 1916) before moving on to Salonika. She also worked on the HS Neuralia in 1917 (I have a menu from Easter Sunday). As far as I can see she was attached to the 2/1st Northumbrian Field Ambulance in Salonika or Stavros. I have an extensive collection of photographs including some of a Captain Dr Harvey Evers RAMC (and some letters form him also). If anyone has any information on the NFA or their work or Qaimns in Salonika I would be very interested to hear from you.

Many thanks

Laura