Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rfn. Henry Taylor s/17466

Hltaylor

I have been trying to see if this soldier is related to me. All the info that I have on him makes him a great canidate. His name, age and where he is from all fit but i can't find his service record so I don't know when he enlisted or when in Plaistow he lives. He was KIA on 27 april 1917, he served in the 9th battalion Rifle Brigade. I've looked at his MIC and SDGW and also CWGC. Is anyone able to help fill in the missing info like enlistment date?

The closest I get to is S/17422 whose number dates to 25th April 1916. This man, and other men on my database whose numbers were issued at this time, are mostly Derby Scheme men who had attested the previous December and been called up. S/17422 originally attested on the 10th December 1915.

It may be no help at all, but this chap is from Canning Town and has a very close Service Number and they may have known each other...

Name: LEAHY, WILLIAM JEREMIAH PATRICK

Initials: W J P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/05/1917

Service No: S/17470

Additional information: Son of Mr. W. Leahy, of go, Hayday Rd., Canning Town; husband of Edith Jones (formerly Leahy), of 171, Kelly Rd., Canning Town, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 9.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

These men died the same day, most are on the Arras Memorial

001 ARNOLD AG 4651 9TH BN 27/04/1917 RIFLE BRIGADE

002 BURPITT J S/17382 9TH BN 27/04/1917 RIFLE BRIGADE

003 BUSH EF S/339 C COY 9TH BN 27/04/1917 RIFLE BRIGADE

004 FELLOWS J S/9562 9TH BN 27/04/1917 RIFLE BRIGADE

005 GREEN JE Z/2180 9TH BN 27/04/1917 RIFLE BRIGADE

006 MOWLES B S/11295 9TH BN 27/04/1917 RIFLE BRIGADE

007 PEACHEY WJ S/28469 9TH BN 27/04/1917 RIFLE BRIGADE

008 TAYLOR H S/17466 9TH BN 27/04/1917 RIFLE BRIGADE

but Green is buried near a Casualty Clearing Station at Bucquoy Road Cemetery Ficheux, which may indicate the general area they were in.

I think Sjt Arnold may have died of wounds sustained when they captured Henincourt village on 12th April in a snowstorm.

That is a very close service number, I think I will be looking at everything i can find on William Leahy. That info is a very big help to me, thanks.

Glad I struck lucky!

Do you know any Names for parents?

There are these:-

Name: TAYLOR

Initials: H J

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 20th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 17236

Additional information: Brother of Mrs. Elizabeth Hogben, of 17, Stratford Rd., Plaistow, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. I. 7.

Cemetery: DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ

(probably not, as has same initial, although could be Herbert, Horace etc) and I would have expected Elizabeth to have provided similar Additional Information if Henry was also her brother. No parent info either!!)

Name: TAYLOR

Initials: E

Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/10/1918

Service No: G/60402

Additional information: Son of William and Rachel Taylor, of 18, Eclipse Rd., Plaistow, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. C. 16.

Cemetery: NAVES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

again, if related I would expect Additional Info to match..

Name: TAYLOR, ALFRED JAMES

Initials: A J

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: R.A. Clerks Sect.

Date of Death: 21/11/1918

Service No: 195249

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Taylor; husband of Alice Hannaford (formerly Taylor), of 112, Cumberland Rd., Plaistow. Born at Twickenham, Middx.

Grave/Memorial Reference: E. 103. E.

Cemetery: WEST HAM CEMETERY

again, being born in Middlesex doesn't seem to have his roots in Plaistow, BUT he is buried there, even though his wife has remarried and is still in the locality. "Son of Mr & Mrs Taylor" isn't the most helpful!! Didn't they realise how we'd need that sort of detail in 100 years???

Henry's next of kin isn't listed, but his parents names were Elijah and Harriett Taylor. He had 2 brothers one in Ottawa(my great grandfather) and one in plaistow, Albert, no idea what ever happened to him. The family wasn't concerned about middle names. It makes it easier for me to resaerch them when others have middle names.