Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prince of Wales's Regiment

Michael Pegum

post-3328-1277672561.jpg

The photo above is on a contemporary postcard. Can anyone say which Prince of Wales's regiment it was, and where?

I think the photo was reversed. While the officer who had lost an arm might have reversed his Sam Browne, the soldiers jackets seem to be buttoned the wrong way. In the next posting I am putting a copy which is a mirror image, in the hope that the street may be recognisable.

Michael

post-3328-1277672811.jpg

This is the same photo, reversed. It might make the street more recognisable.

Michael

Hello Michael

I agree with you that the picture was reversed - rifles were normally sloped over the left shoulder, although sometimes this might be changed on the march.

Otherwise I can't help much, I'm afraid. Does the back of the postcard indicate in which town it was printed? It's clearly not a Lancer regiment, but there are a few PoW's among the infantry, including the P o W's Own Civil Service Rifles, part of the London Regiment.

The chap in front with the missing right (?) arm seems to be the colonel or a company commander. This infirmity, plus the absence of a horse and the rather wonky appearance of the front rank, suggests it might be a Territorial unit, or perhaps a New Army one.

Ron

At first sight I was going to suggest that they were on their way FROM the front, but agree that the photo was reversed. How about South Lancs?

How could the officer draw his sword?

D

Does the back of the postcard indicate in which town it was printed?

Ron

Nothing on the back. I don't have a copy of the actual card. The print says "© Underwood & Underwood, N.Y.", which I take to mean New York.

The © makes me think that this is a modern re-print. I don't think this symbol was used that long ago.

Michael