Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Irish Guards At Landrecies 25 August 1914

Jerrymurland

Two Irish guards officers were reported to have been left behind after 4 Brigade retired early on 26th August - they later escaped on a couple of horses and rejoined the regiment. I can't find out who they were anywhere - although I don't have the official IG history. Any Irish Guards esxperts out there with the war diary? Love to get names for these two sleepy Guard's officers.

Jerry Murland

• Admin

Kipling doesn't mention them by name, nor does Ma Jeffries in Fifteen Rounds A Minute.

Michelle

I don't think the war diary will be much use either. I have seen it and Kipling copied just about everything in it.

Ian

Jerry,

2nd Lt Neville Woodroffe was one; this from a letter dated August 28th:

"The village was shelled and surrounded. Barricades of all sorts were put up at each corner of the street and the Coldstream and us were inside. Why a [sic] mention this more than anything is because I went through some experience and adventure which I shall perhaps remember. My personal billet was away from my own platoon (50 men) as I and another officer had managed to find a room in another part of the village in which to sleep in. However when the alarm went we did not hear it and the 2 men detailed to warn us never came so eventually when the remainder had managed to get out of the place we were left asleep in our room. We woke up at 7 o’clock and found the town surrounded by Germans and the.....village partly blown down. The house next to ours was completely shattered and all windows and roofs of the neighbouring houses were smashed and the streets torn up. We collected our kit and made out as quickly as possible, but before we had gone far we saw a German patrol of cavalry at the corner of the street so we rushed into a house till they had passed and then returned out again......we saw another similar patrol when we did the same thing again. We finally got onto the main road with about 20 of those Uhlans.....up not more than 180 yards, we .................well..........and finally came into an outpost of the Queens. When the Uhlans saw them they went back. We found our battalion later in the day, digging trenches only about 10 miles off!!"

Unfortunately I can't remember from where I sourced Woodroffe's letters -- researching the Guards Brigade 1914 I put together various first-hand accounts, but have since lost footnotes. A number came from the IWM collection, but a quick search came up blank.

Good on you,

Grant

I think I have solved the mystery. I found this in Aubrey Herbert's diary

'About 2.30, in my sleep I heard my name, and found Desmond calling me loudly in the street outside. He said: "We have lost two young officers, L. And W. Come out and find them at once. The Germans are coming into the town, and we shall have to clear out instantly." I said to him: "I don't know either L. or W. By sight, and if I did it is far too dark to see them." "Well.' he said, "you must do your best." I went out and walked about the town, which was still being shelled, but I was far more afraid of being run over in the darkness than of being hit. Troops were pouring out in great confusion -- foot, artillery, transport mixed -- and there were great holes in the road made by the German shells. I met Eric, who said: "Come along with me to Guise;" also the driver of a great transport wagon, who said he had no orders, and begged me to come with him: he felt lonely without an officer. It was quite clear to me that it was impossible to find these two officers. I met Desmond by Headquarters and told him so; he said: "Very well, fall in and come along."

Two Irish guards Officers fit the bill - Woodroffe as you have said and Livingstone-Learmonth.

2nd Lieut. N. L. Woodroffe.

2nd Lieut. J. Livingstone-Learmonth.

Thanks very much for your help. Can I use the quote you posted?

Jerry