Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Royal Scots

derekb

Hello,

I have just bought a cased compass, the compass is engraved with " J. RICHARDS-SHANKS" and also "14TH ROYAL SCOTS".

In the London Gazette, number 29169, Friday 21 May 1915, I have found "John Richards Shanks " under "to be temporary Second Lieutenants, Dated 20th May 1915".

I anyone can help me with any further information or guidance where to look, it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Derek.

Hi Derek,

I can only see one Medal Card for a John Richard Shanks but this lad was in the 3rd Royal Scots as 2nd Lieutenant,then in the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force as Lieutenant,I think he was looking for replacement medals,B.W.M and Victory as it has on the MIC,Replacement On Payment,over a stamp for 7th May 1946.?

all te best Gary.

The Edinburgh Royal High School ROH has the following which ties in with the above:

"Shanks, J.R. (1913). Private, Motor Machine-Gun Section, January 1915. 2nd Lieutenant, 3rd Royal Scots, May 1915. Attached Royal Flying Corps, October 1916. Gassed at Hohenzollern Redoubt, April 1916; wounded at Vert Galant, April 1918."

Regards

LIT

The Edinburgh Royal High School ROH has the following which ties in with the above:

"Shanks, J.R. (1913). Private, Motor Machine-Gun Section, January 1915. 2nd Lieutenant, 3rd Royal Scots, May 1915. Attached Royal Flying Corps, October 1916. Gassed at Hohenzollern Redoubt, April 1916; wounded at Vert Galant, April 1918."

Regards

LIT

Hi Gary and LIT,

Thanks for your replies, they are very helpful.

The compass was actually supplied by Richardson Adie & Co. of Edinburgh.

I hope it's starting to make sense, I'll keep looking, thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Derek.