Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl James Sydney CULLEN, Welsh Regiment

Perth Digger

According to his MIC, his father asked for the medals of his 'late son' on 31/2/1922 (sic). There is no evidence of his death and no papers in pensions etc. His regimental number was 72826, he was born in 1900 +- 1 and he lived in Argyllshire. His brother, 2/Lt John Cullen, A&S Highlanders, was KIA 1916 and his father asked for his medals 13 months before he asked for James Sydney's. James Sydney had Victory and British medals.

I realise that he may have died after the cut-off period for war deaths in 1921, but there is also evidence that he may have lived a long life. I suspect some clerical error.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

James Sydney Laing Cullen was born on 24.6.1899, father Robert Cullen 1868-1938 mother Margaret Bryden 1871-1945. He had a brother John born 4.6.1895 and died the Somme 15.9.16. James married Sarah Davidson Gilmour. He died 27th May 1960. All this is on a public member tree on Ancestry. The MIC cross references to his brother's date of death,CWGC and the tree.

Kindest Regards

Barry

Hi Barry

Thanks for confirming that for me. What was throwing me out was the reference to the last son on James' MIC. Obviously a clerical error, now that I know that he did survive.

Thanks again.

Mike