Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Constable Godwin - Black & Tan?

Stanley_C_Jenkins

In a report about the "Regimental Sports", which were held at the Garryowen Ground in Limerick on 16th and 23rd July 1921, the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry Chronicle refers the athletic exploits of "Constable Godwin, RIC, late of the 6th Battalion, who won the "Police Half-mile".

Quite apart from the question why the "Police Half-mile" should have been taking place at what appears to have been a purely regimental event, this brief reference is the only one that I have yet been able to find in relation to members of the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry joining the "Black & Tans"(although I am sure there must have been a few more). I assume that there should be at least some reference to Constable Godwin in the RIC records? It would be interesting to find out a little more about his career during the "Troubles".

13 MIC for Godwins in that regt.

5 recorded deaths in CWGC

Some of MICs give battalion

Following Godwins on RIC roll (1st date is DOB, other when they joined RIC)

Godwin, Edwin 1898 Berkshire 1920

Godwin, Jas H 1896 England 1920

Godwin, Thos 1897 Galway 1920

Put that lot together and it would seem that Edwin is probably your man

Thank you for the information. I should now be able to cross check with the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry records and, if Edwin Godwin is the man involved, we can update the records to say that he became a "Black & Tan".

1911 census at 34 St John's Road Wallingford

GODWIN, Eura Head Married M 42 1869 Town Postman Warborough Oxon

GODWIN, Lot Son Single M 15 1896 Farm Labourer Berks Wallingford

GODWIN, Edwin Son M 12 1899 School Berks Wallingford

GODWIN, Olive Daughter F 8 1903 Berks Wallingford

Stanley,

There is an Edwin A Godwin & Thomas Godwin on SOFO records but nothing to link them with RIC.

Edwin 2714 QOOH, 32799 OBLI & 245956 RE.

Edwin Godwin 74816. You may be lucky and find something in his service record about what counties he was posted to but probably not much else. Disbandment registers for the counties should also confirm where he was disbanded from, unless he resigned early.

Stanley,

There is an Edwin A Godwin & Thomas Godwin on SOFO records but nothing to link them with RIC.

Edwin 2714 QOOH, 32799 OBLI & 245956 RE.

That is because, as far as I know, nobody has added any details of members of the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry who joined the RIC after the Great War. It appears that Edwain Godwin was indeed a Black & Tan.

Edwin Godwin, QOOH 2714, appears to be a May 1915 enlistment and he transferred to OBLI in September 1916 along with many other QOOH men. If this is the same man and 74816 is his RIC number I will further update the Soldiers of Oxfordshire archive with this information. All and any guidance gratefully received.

MC