Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P. Rooney King's Liverpool Regiment 1917

Competajohn

I am trying to find more infomation on a P. Rooney (could either be Peter or Patrick, not sure) who served in the Liverpool Regiment and around March 1917 was stationed in Kent (probably Margate) before going to the front. He was killed in 1917. I have found a record on the roll of honour on www.liverpoolrgt.co.uk for a Patrick Rooney, 267324, 1/7th King's Liverpool Regiment who died 1/8/17. This could be the soldier I am looking for but wondered if anyone could tell me if it was likely that he had been in Kent prior to going to fight?

If his battalion had not been in Kent, can anyone give me info. as to which battalion's were in Kent around March 1917?

I believe he had a friend who was with him in Kent called William Hankin, 47415.

Many thanks in advance.

John.

HERE'S the CWGC details for the only P. Rooney to die serving with the Liverpool Regt in 1917 or 1918.

And HERE'S the link to his MIC details. Judging by his army number I'd suggest that he probably went overseas in 1917.

He was probably in Kent with the 2nd line battalion of the 7th Liverpools. Can anyone confirm that they were in Kent at this time?

HERE'S the CWGC details for the only P. Rooney to die serving with the Liverpool Regt in 1917 or 1918.

And HERE'S the link to his MIC details. Judging by his army number I'd suggest that he probably went overseas in 1917.

He was probably in Kent with the 2nd line battalion of the 7th Liverpools. Can anyone confirm that they were in Kent at this time?

Hi norfolk5,

Thanks for this. How many of these are from Liverpool. I know he was in Kent in 1917 so anything before then is not the P.Rooney I'm looking for.

Many thanks,

John.

John,

1/7th Battalion The King’s (Liverpool) moved down to Kent shortly after the outbreak of the war billeted around Canterbury, they also did a stint around Southampton guarding the docks and railways.

1/7th went to France on 7th March 1915 and were replaced in the Canterbury area by 2/7th Battalion The King’s they in turn sailed for France on 13th February 1917.

So in answer to your question yes 7th Battalion The King’s were in Kent at least until February 1917.

The medal card for 267324 Pte Rooney shows that he was only entitled to the War & Victory medal meaning he didn’t go over in 1915 so would more than likely have been in Kent sometime in 1915, 16 or 17.

All the best,

Paul.

John,

1/7th Battalion The King's (Liverpool) moved down to Kent shortly after the outbreak of the war billeted around Canterbury, they also did a stint around Southampton guarding the docks and railways.

1/7th went to France on 7th March 1915 and were replaced in the Canterbury area by 2/7th Battalion The King's they in turn sailed for France on 13th February 1917.

So in answer to your question yes 7th Battalion The King's were in Kent at least until February 1917.

The medal card for 267324 Pte Rooney shows that he was only entitled to the War & Victory medal meaning he didn't go over in 1915 so would more than likely have been in Kent sometime in 1915, 16 or 17.

All the best,

Paul.

Many thanks for that Paul.

Regards,

John.

Hi John,

I think Norfolk5 may have misread my post; the P. Rooney that I posted a link to is the only one serving with the Liverpool's who was killed in 1917 or 1918..

Also, Re; 2/7th Liverpools - they were in Cantabury from Feb '15 until July 16, then Aldershot until September '16, then Woking, then France in Feb '17.

If you're sure that he was in Margate then he could have been with the 2/6th Liverpool's who were there from March to July 1915. Several 2nd line battalions of the Liverpool rgt were stationed in the Cantabury/Ashford area in 1915-16.

Several Hankin's with relatively close regimental numbers, too.

Hi norfolk5,

Thanks for this. How many of these are from Liverpool. I know he was in Kent in 1917 so anything before then is not the P.Rooney I'm looking for.

Many thanks,

John.

Hi John,

I think Norfolk5 may have misread my post; the P. Rooney that I posted a link to is the only one serving with the Liverpool's who was killed in 1917 or 1918..

Also, Re; 2/7th Liverpools - they were in Cantabury from Feb '15 until July 16, then Aldershot until September '16, then Woking, then France in Feb '17.

If you're sure that he was in Margate then he could have been with the 2/6th Liverpool's who were there from March to July 1915. Several 2nd line battalions of the Liverpool rgt were stationed in the Cantabury/Ashford area in 1915-16.

Several Hankin's with relatively close regimental numbers, too.

Hi headgardener,

We not 100% certain he was in Margate - it could just have easily been Canterbury - however we are certain he was in Kent around February / March of 1917 and that he was with the King's (Liverpool Regiment). A friend has made enquiries with the Army and has been told this was the only regiment in the Kent area at the time?? We also believe he was killed in that same year but do not know for certain.

Do you know (or anyone else know) if there were any P. Rooney's (Peter or Patrick) in the 2/6th or any other battalions of the King's that were in Kent at that time? His friend William Hankin, who was with him, had the regimental number 47415 and he later transferred to the S.Lancs Regiment with the number 64828. We know William survived and we also have a MIC for him. Is there the possibility that the P.Rooney we are looking was MIA or KIA and records are lost?

Regards,

John.

OK, You've raised several points;

Your man was in Kent with the Liverpool regiment. You say you're certain he was there in early 1917? You think that your man was killed, but you're not certain.

A total of 6 battalions of the Liverpool regiment (2/5th, 2/6th, 2/7th, 2/8th, 2/9th and 2/10th) were in the Kent area as part of 57th Division from Feb 1915 to about July 1916. They then went to the Aldershot area until going to France in Feb '17. So, they were in Kent for quite a long time, but none of them were there in early 1917.

You asked whether there are any other P.Rooney's who served with any of those battalions of the Liverpool Rgt. Hard to say. Having checked the medal index cards, all we can say for certain is that 3 P.Rooney's served overseas with the Liverpool regt, one of whom was killed in action in 1917 (see my earlier post). His regimental number looks 'right' for someone serving with one of the battalions that I mentioned earlier, the numbers of the other 2 don't (though that's not a guarantee of anything). So on the balance of probability, assuming that your man did die, then it's reasonable to assume that it's him. BUT, you're not certain that he was killed? AND the regimental number of William Hankin also doesn't look exactly 'right' for someone serving with one of those battalions. There are several Hankin's who served overseas with the Liverpool regt and whose regimental numbers are closer to Patrick Rooney's, though none of them is a 'William'.

I hope that I'm not confusing you, it's just that I'm trying to be absolutely clear about what you know; The information that you have, where did it come from? Is it family recollections? Are there any letters and documents? How do you come to know about William Hankin?

OK, You've raised several points;

Your man was in Kent with the Liverpool regiment. You say you're certain he was there in early 1917? You think that your man was killed, but you're not certain.

A total of 6 battalions of the Liverpool regiment (2/5th, 2/6th, 2/7th, 2/8th, 2/9th and 2/10th) were in the Kent area as part of 57th Division from Feb 1915 to about July 1916. They then went to the Aldershot area until going to France in Feb '17. So, they were in Kent for quite a long time, but none of them were there in early 1917.

You asked whether there are any other P.Rooney's who served with any of those battalions of the Liverpool Rgt. Hard to say. Having checked the medal index cards, all we can say for certain is that 3 P.Rooney's served overseas with the Liverpool regt, one of whom was killed in action in 1917 (see my earlier post). His regimental number looks 'right' for someone serving with one of the battalions that I mentioned earlier, the numbers of the other 2 don't (though that's not a guarantee of anything). So on the balance of probability, assuming that your man did die, then it's reasonable to assume that it's him. BUT, you're not certain that he was killed? AND the regimental number of William Hankin also doesn't look exactly 'right' for someone serving with one of those battalions. There are several Hankin's who served overseas with the Liverpool regt and whose regimental numbers are closer to Patrick Rooney's, though none of them is a 'William'.

I hope that I'm not confusing you, it's just that I'm trying to be absolutely clear about what you know; The information that you have, where did it come from? Is it family recollections? Are there any letters and documents? How do you come to know about William Hankin?

Hi,

Yes, I'm afraid the information is very sketchy. I am doing the research for a friend of mine. His grandmother met a P (it was thought Peter but could have been Patrick) Rooney in 1917. Her sister met William Hankin at the same time. William survived and married his grandmother's sister. My friend's grandmother was told that Mr. Rooney had been killed. Really, that is all we know. I know I'm straw clutching but I think my friend is convinced that the roll of honour record for Patrick Rooney of the 1/7th is the man he's looking for. But from your earlier posts it seems unlikely that he would have been in Kent in February/March of 1917. Unfortunately, there are no documents, it is simpy based on recollections. And of course, there is nobody alive today to talk to about this story who was around at the time. I guess this will have to remain a mystery.

Many thanks for your help.

John.

Well, just because they were stationed in Aldershot doesn't mean that they couldn't have visited their old friends in Kent (they had been stationed there for almost a year and a half) before going to France.

Looks like we'll never know for sure......