Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Volunteer Training Corps

Sepoy

A rather grand looking fellow with his VTC marksman's arm badge and .303 Martini Enfield Rifle.

Sepoy

Does anyone recognise his King's Crown Cap Badge

post-55476-1277504421.jpg

post-55476-1277504659.jpg

Looks like THE 8th Battalion (ISLE OF WIGHT RIFLES PRINCESS BEATRICE'S) BATTALION, THE HAMPSHIRE REGIMENT. (1902 - 1922)

MC

MC; I don't think that the local VTC would have worn the same cap badge as the local TF regiment.

Sepoy; are there any photographer's details on the back of the card? That may help.

Im just going by a website that has 400 plus badges on it ,this looks pretty well like that battalion .After going though all of them this is the most likely ..

MC

You're right, it does look like IoW Rifles, but their badge has a broader band (a laurel wreath) around the outside of the badge, also a small scroll over the bottom of the wreath. Sepoy's pic seems to show a badge with a very narrow band around the central emblem, and the band has a distinct edge to it (unlike a laurel wreath). No scroll visible either.

I'll admit that I'm no expert on VTC badges, but I've yet to see one which is the same as the local county regiment's.

The closest match I can find in Kipling & King is the 6th (Guildford) Battalion Surrey VTC (KK1680). I'm not 100% happy that's it the one though as the centre should look similar to the East Surrey badge with Guildford castle.

The problem is that Kipling and King only show a representative selection of VTC badges so the one in the photo may well not be in that publication.

P.B.

Although it does look like the badge worn by the Isle of Wight Rifles, I agree with Headgardeners' comments concerning TF badges being worn by VTC units.

Again the cap badge is also similar to the 6th (Guildford) VTC but the crown is different. I knew Hugh King for some years and I saw his vast Cap Badge collection on a number of occasions. Unfortunately, it was a case of sensory overload and as my interests were slightly different at the time, I never asked him about this badge.

I will certainly dig the card out to discover if it has a photographer's name on it. Unfortunately the chap's name was not recorded on the card.

Thank you for the comments made so far

Sepoy

I would agree this is certainly not an I.W. Rifles cap badge. The Isle of Wight VTC badge was indeed based on that of the local Territorial battalion, but quite distinct in appearance: both shared the Carisbrooke Castle gate house as the centre piece, but the VTC was surrounded by a different laurel wreath, with the letters VTC at the top and a scroll below, if I remember correctly. Neither had the more solid appearance of that in the picture.

Having said that, have to admit I have absolutely no idea what unit this badge actually does belong to !

Bart