Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching

jimmartin

hi,

I recentely purchased a 1914/15 Star medal and have tried to find out about the recipient. The details read...

"1121

PTE. G. MOSS.

R.FUSS"

I've gone through all the national census pages, the medal lists,the CWGC lists and as many Reg., Btn., and Coy., rercords as I can find, but cannot find

anything about George.

"I've called him George as we've had many a conversation during my search". I'm from Dublin, Ireland and bought the medal in Dublin so I'm not sure if it might be Royal Dublin Fusiliers or maybe Royal Irish Fusiliers...

i'd hate to think that he (or the medal) is a forgery or, even worse, someone completely forgotten. So if anyone can help, please do..

thanks

jim

There is a medal index card on Ancestry for a GEORGE H MOSS 1121 Royal Fusiliers;145623 RFC; G/ 24019 East Kents and finally 365663 Labour Corps, the card has a note "BWM and V Medal returned" Your man ? Ralph.

Edited: Didn't realise that Rjaydee had already answered. :thumbsup:

Hi Jim. George was a real person. The medal you have is for

George H. Moss. Private 1121 Royal Fusiliers who landed in France on 17/08/1915

He looks to have had a varied spell during the war. He is also:

145623 Royal Flying Corps

G/24019 East Kent Regiment

365663 Labour Corps.

jim

The 1914-15 Star was issued by the RFC as he would have been serving with that unit when these medals were being issued. WO329/2926 page 311 will show which Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers he served on landing in France in Aug 1915. Out of interest the 4th Battalion landed in France on 13 Aug 1915 and three others (10/11 and 13) in July 1915. Equally he could have been in a batch of replacements for units already on station,1st or 3rd Bns.

Sotonmate

Out of interest the 4th Battalion landed in France on 13 Aug 1915 and three others (10/11 and 13) in July 1915. Equally he could have been in a batch of replacements for units already on station,1st or 3rd Bns.

Sotonmate;

4th Bn. landed in August 1914. No R.Fus battalions match that date for 1915. Must have been a reinforcement for any one of the 10 R.Fus Battalions (1st, 3rd, 4th, & 7th-13th) serving in France at that time.

• 1 month later...

Wow, thanks guys and apologies for the delay in getting back..work etc! Thats some awesome information you have provided and is of great help in my research. I'll update when I find out more,

Thanks again to all

jim.