Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you help locate where this soldier gained his DCM

jainvince

Browsing the local paper (Rochdale Observer) I came across details of a soldier from Littleborough who received the DCM in and around September 1915. He served with the 2 Bn Grenadier Guards who I believe were at Loos but whereabouts? Does a DCM have a citation?

Any assistance kindly received.

Bernard

L/Cpl James Parker

Born in 1892 in Norden, by 1911 James lived in a small terraced house with his parents, 4 brothers, 5 sisters and a lodger. James was a Cotton Piecer later joined Rochdale Police force. L/Cpl James Parker enlisted in September 1914 and went to France at Whitsuntide. His medal card indicates 24.5.1915.

Writing on October 1915, Lance Corporal Parker says: “We came out of the trenches early on Wednesday morning, after being in ten days and seeing hard fighting the last three. I don’t know how I am living to write this letter for I got into hand to hand fight with bombs. I will first try and tell you how it started. The Germans had a trench in front of us that gave us a lot of trouble, so our officers decided to take it and the fun started on Sunday night. Our company took the trench all right; then it came to holding it. Well, I am on what is called the barricade. I, with a few more men, threw bombs at the enemy all the night and I built the barricade. I don’t really know how it is I am alive to tell the tale, for the Germans kept coming down the trench that we were blocking up, but we beat them back each time. We held them up all right till we were relieved by one of our other companies. Then the Germans attacked again but we beat them all right and kept on beating them till being relieved on Wednesday Morningand I think we quietened them all right.2 “I am pleased to say now that I with a few others have been recommended for the DCM which I hope we get." L/Cpl James Parker did receive the D.C.M. and was discharged due to wounds.

James had two brothers who also served:- Pte Tom Parker, 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers KIA 6th September 1917 @ Borry Farm, Frezenberg and Pte John Parker of RAMC who also survived.

Try requesting the War Diary for the 2/Grenadiers - possible mention of him if your lucky! Loos would be about right.

The DCM was announced on 1-1-1916

18576 Lance-Corporal J. Parker, 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29438/supplements/608

with the Citation on 11-3-1916

18576 Lance-Corporal J. Parker, 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards.

For conspicuous gallantry. He displayed great coolness and tenacity in building a barricade to block a captured trench and in repelling counter-attacks while it was being built.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/295...upplements/2708

Steve.

Thanks to 'shaymen' I have discovered that he was in the trenches at Le Rutoire having marched via Vermelles. But i cannot find Le Rutoire on a trench map. Can any pal please guide me in the right direction, please?

Bernard

On the road from Vermelles to Loos there was a cross roads with a road leading to Haisnes. Le Rutoire was a hamlet on that road. About half way between Vermelles and the front line and bang in the middle of I division's frontage. There was also a built up area known as Corons de Rutoire nearer to Vermelles and to the south, towards Le Philosophe.

Bernard

A couple of maps to help (courtesy of Linesman)

post-28845-1277747003.jpg

Late 1915 map which I think is relevant to you plus below the modern area in 1:25000

post-28845-1277747087.jpg

Jim

Thanks Guys, the War Diaries indicate that they reached the British Trenches at le Rutoire and were then sent forward to the German Trenches. It was there that he faced the German troops and won his DCM.

I must have passed close by in April but didn't know that this man was so close. Still, another trip will result in a visit. Pity I don't have any photos of the area.

Bernard