Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R Hartley ASC

CarylW

Had a few nice postcard finds lately, this is one of them and fortunately this soldier put a mark above his head, included the date, his name, unit, rank, service number, where he was based and his number on the back!

Can anyone tell me any more about them please. Are they officers? They all have sticks.

What was the 24th Reserve Park?

Can't quite make out the rank and I can't seem to find him in the MIC's, so maybe he didn't go overseas?

ASC.jpg

soldierback2.jpg

Caryl

These men are not officers but Drivers in the Army Service Corps. The T4 prefix to the service number indicates Horse Transport for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th New Armies, probably 4th in this case. I was wondering if the 24th Reserve Park ASC was attached to the 24th Division which would seem logical, but I am not sure. Certainly the Sussex photographer based in Storrington, near Arundel might indicate 24th Division who were in Sussex near Shoreham at the time the photograph was taken.

I have had a quick look through the medal index card index and I agree that he is not there with the number T4/035752. However, given that the photograph was taken in 1915 there is a strong possibility that he went overseas with a different service number and or unit.

I looked for MIC's for soldiers with numbers close to his and have found the following:

T4/035751 ---

T4/035752 ---

T4/035753 ---

T4/035754 ---

T4/035755 ---

T4/035756 Dvr Harold C King

T4/035757 Dvr Alfred H Lewington

T4/035757 Dvr Frank E King

T4/036758 Dvr John H Lawer

T4/035759 ---

So it looks as if men from this number batch were sent overseas and it may be worth looking at some of the men named to see when they went.

I would also suggest looking through the service papers on Ancestry to see if his service papers have survived.

The Long, Long Trail notes that 'The ASC Horsed Transport Reserve Park Companies filled a variety of administrative and back-up roles. Many of the Reserve Parks in France were converted into Army Auxiliary HT Companies in 1917..."

The same source tells us that ASC Company 210 was 'Formed December 1914. Served as 24 Reserve Park. Later converted into a Brigade Supply Column for 7th Mounted Brigade, and saw service in Salonika and Turkey.'

Further to the above

info from Col Michael Young's history 'ASC 1902-1918' [iSBN 085052 730 9]

ASC Company 210 file ref at NA = WO95/4793

Hi,

Found this SWB card

Regards Mark

Along the top of the card: *A.S.C. T4/035752 DVR

Hartley Reuben RFA, 312 WR Bde, 195994, Rank Drv, Date of discharge 11.5.18, Enlistment 14.12.14, Cause of Discharge S. AO 265/17 2A1

List RA/1842

Vivtory: Roll RFA/286B Page 37338

British: -do- -do-

15 Star* Roll RFA/2C Page 101

In red below last line: (3) 22-12-15

Wow, you have all been busy! Thanks for all of this. The Long Long Trail is usually the first place I look if I'm unsure of a unit but didn't this time for some unknown reason!

I'll look on Ancestry for his record, wondered if the rank were Driver but those sticks threw me

If only all photographs of soldiers we come across had so much information on the back!

Cheers

Caryl

Hi,

Here is AO 265/17

A.O.265/17:

2. Under the amended conditions the badge will, subject in every case to the approval of the Army Council, be issued only to the individuals specified below, who have served with the military forces subsequent to the 4th August, 1914:

(a) Those who, having served as officers and being still of military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions:

(i) After service overseas in the armed Forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct,

I think he might have transferred to the RFA on 22-12-15

Regards Mark

Thanks again! Does anyone collecting or researching ASC want this postcard? it's very interesting but wasted on me because I'm not researching that unit. PM me please if you would like it, no charge or maybe give a small donation to the forum or Help for Heroes, entirely up to whoever wants it.

Edit: It's been claimed. Thanks all

Caryl