Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please

Beau Geste

I'm researching a friend's relative: L Cpl 15459 F.E. Crumett of the Norfolk Regt who was KIA on 23.10.1915. and is buried in La Brique Military cemetery No 2. I have all his documents etc but would like to know what the Norfolk's were involved in at the time of his death. I know the regiment was transferred to 6th Div on the 15th October but according to Wikpedia it was a "quiet period" on The Salient and yet he was killed eight days later.

Any help would be appreciated.

Harry

Hi Harry. According to Geoff's Search engine, he was the only 9th Bn KIA that day. Pte 15529 James Funnel died of wounds on the 25th. perhaps they were hit by same shell, or L/Cpl Crumett shot by a sniper?

If there were so few casualties, perhaps they are named in the Diary?

Might be worth posting a Diary look up HERE

Cheers Mike

Harry

He was the only soldier from the 9th Norfolks to die that day. Whether there was much action or not,the snipers and observers were always alert and sent regular missiles in the way of our trenches/duty details. A book I have been reading recently describes the day-to-day sniping as being pretty well incessant in some areas. I would say he was hit by a snipe or shrapnel etc.

You could try the unit War Diary to get (maybe) more specifics,WO95/1623 runs from Aug 1915. It is not yet digital though.

Sotonmate

Hi Harry. According to Geoff's Search engine, he was the only 9th Bn KIA that day. Pte 15529 James Funnel died of wounds on the 25th. perhaps they were hit by same shell, or L/Cpl Crumett shot by a sniper?

If there were so few casualties, perhaps they are named in the Diary?

Might be worth posting a Diary look up HERE

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike, Great help and great advice.

Harry

Thanks Mike, Great help and great advice.

Harry

And thank you too Sotonmate. Jeremy has, I think, come up with the answer from the diary but you guys were spot on.

Am impressed

Harry