Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to identify uniform please: 1915

CarylW

Had some nice postcard finds lately, this is one of them

Can anyone identify this soldiers uniform please? Is it foreign? I can't make out all the writing on the back, part of it looks to me like 'Bunder Wills'

soldier.jpg

soldierback.jpg

Caryl

Prussian or one of the German states. Fieldmutze with cockade, German belt and buckle and bandsman wings.

DrB

Prussian or one of the German states. Fieldmutze with cockade, German belt and buckle and bandsman wings.

DrB

Bandsman? More like drummer perhaps?

Are there any postcard collectors in Germany who would like to have this? Call me soft but I would like 'Willi' to go home

Please PM me if you would like to have it, no charge

Edit: Postcard now claimed. thanks all

Caryl

Some more info concerning 'Willi': he appears to be a Saxon infantryman (saxon cuffs, mainly worn by saxon units), and a 'Spielmann' (Tambour, Hornist or Pfeifer). Perhaps with a magnifing glass, depending on the sharpness of the photo, you should be able to read 'Providentiae Memor' on his belt buckle.Due to the fact his houlderstraps can't be seen it is unfortunately impossible to determine which regiment....

Agree with Grumpy, most likely a drummer. The tressen on his swallow's nests (schwalbennester) are verticle. As he does not appear to be a serganten he most likely would not be a hoboisten or Stab (long serving professional military musician or Staff musician). Trumpeters had diagonally placed tresses so that eliminates our man as a trumpeter. He appear to be a spielleute (battalion drummer for giving signals or keeping the troops in time which marching).

Cheers, BIll

Thank you Bill and eparge. As always, I'm amazed at the depth and scope of knowledge from forum members here

'Willi' is now in an envelope and will be posted to his new home next week so maybe the new owner can look with a magnifying glass to see more detail

One thing I did notice was that he seemed quite small because he had large hems on his trousers

Here is a close up of the belt, not sure if that will tell you anything?

belt.jpg

Caryl

• 3 weeks later...