Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German 1898/02

Gunner Bailey

The likelihood that this or any WW1 finish bayonet saw use in afrika is rather remote. Buy the item and not the story. There were some 84/98's carried over post WW1 and some 98/05's as well but every one of these I have encountered have been post WW1 refinished - all blued , and never a sawback among them.

The '38 date on the Patt'07 poker is not a "reissue" date , but a date when bayonet was FTR'd and or repaired. When you find No1MkIII rifles that have been rebarreled their replacement barrels will all be dated for the time of rebarreling like '27 for 1927 etc etc and this has nothing to do with "reissue" , just repair.

I did buy the item and the story was free. The man who sold both bayonets to me was not some dodgy dealer but a normal quite unsophisticated guy off the street, who told me about his father's war experiences. As the leg wound put his father out of the war, he could not have acquired it operationally elsewhere. As has been stated earlier in the thread North Africa was not well supplied with the latest kit and it was my own idea (and assumption) that the German may have taken his father's bayonet to war.

I'll let you and Bootnecks discuss the 07 (hopefully by PM) as you are obviously experts with different opinions. One of you must be wrong.

John

• 3 years later...

Very pleased that you have learned a little about your two bayonets John. I've said it many times, but there is no harm mentioning it again..... we are all on an upwards learning curve, no matter what our expertise. However, in our research, we have to curb the need to search for the romantic... and study the obvious.

Too true! Mind you, the romantic bit does give them more character, but best to leave to ngithtime as we slowly enter the land of Nod!

Hi Gunner,

Well, the back story about the 98/02 does seem doubtful, but it is a nice bayonet, complete with its original high ears! And Saxon examples are not common... BTW, does it have a flashguard? It doesn't seem to have one, but just wanted to check.

Trajan