Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers

digitalpan

Hi

I'm having difficulty understanding an inscription in a book which belonged to my grandfather. The book is the "Manual of Field Engineering 1911" reprinted 1914. Inside my grandfather has written his details as

H. P. King No 3558 3/4 Company

2nd London Royal Engineers

I also have his war service medal, inscribed on the rim with

3558 SPR H P KING R.E.

I've managed to get my head round battalions, brigades and divisions for other relatives of mine but I can't make sense of this one. I do remember stories of railway locomotive driving (and I have a photo of my grandfather in uniform on the footplate of - I think - an ex-GWR Dean goods loco in ROD livery) but these may or may not be reliable! I haven't tried the RE museum and library yet as I was hoping to sort out what unit he was attached to before trying some in-depth research.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Ian

A brief history of his service:

19. 2.16 . Enlisted and posted to 3/4th Company , 2nd London Divisional Engineers, Territorial Force

21.8.16 - arrived 48 Base Depot, Le Havre from England

13.10.16 - arrived TTBD from Havre

22.2.17 - transferred to the Railway Operating Division, Royal Engineers and raised to "Skilled" rate of Engineer pay as Engine Driver. Posted to 15 Broad Gauge Operating Company.

24.4.18 - raised to "Superior" rate of Engineer pay

3.3.19 - promoted acting 2nd Corporal

Service: Home 19.2.16 to 19 .8 .16

BEF 20.8.16 to 17.10.19

Height 5 ft 7 ins. Chest expanded 35 inches

Next of kin: Sarah Emma King - wife

Address: 8 Brook lane North

Leyton Rd

Brentford.

TR

Thanks for your help. I think things are making a bit more sense now. Am I right in thinking that the 2nd London Division later became the 47th Division but my grandfather transferred to the Railway Operating Division of the Royal Engineers itself? Did the ROD operate independently from (but in association with) the army divisions? I am also intrigued that he seems to have retained his original number as I believed that new numbers were issued. post-56178-1277474380.jpgI've also uploaded the photo of him standing on the footplate of a locomotive. Somehow I didn't really believe that he was actually the driver, although that's what he always said!

Regards

Ian

Ian

In fact he had three numbers: 3558, (original) 552750 (which was issued in early 1917 when the TF were renumbered) and WR/177870, which he received in 1918 when the ROD were included in the Transportation Troops organisation.

2nd London Division did become 47th Division, however the ROD were a completely separate organisation from the tactical formations of the Infantry Divisions.

With regards to his trade, it looks very much as though he was the train driver. Are there any clues as to which pre-war railway company he may have served with?

TR

Hi

Some very interesting and helpful information, thankyou everyone. I asked my mother today about my grandfather's work before WWI - she said he came from Gravesend and drove locos in the chalk pits nearby. I think this must have been the chalk pits associated with the cement works around that area. I guess this might have been a reserved occupation but apparently his sister's husband came home on leave in 1916 and they got into an argument about why Bert wasn't in the army doing his bit for the country, so he went and volunteered the next day! There is also a story about him having driven a train with King George V and the Prince of Wales on a visit to the front, but I think I shall have to do a lot more digging to establish whether there is any truth in that.

Thanks

Ian