Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwicks Sep 1917 - can anyone help?

stegfish

I am researching a soldier, Thomas Sillitoe, who is on the memorial in Eastham Village, Wirral who originally joined the Cheshire's in March 1917 and went to France in June 1917. At some stage between June and September he transferred to the Royal Warwick's and was then killed in action on the 9th September 1917.

Can any of the forum members tell me what action Thomas might have been involved in the Royal Warwicks and so where he might have died?

He has 2 regimental numbers - the first I think was with the Cheshires 62289, the second when he transferred across to the Royal Warwicks 29525. Is there any reason why he would have 2 numbers? I thought that soldiers generally kept their original regimental number.

Thank you for all your help

Best wishes

Stegfish

To answer the question it is necessary to know his unit. Fortunately this is given by his record in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database as 2/8th Battalion (see http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...sualty=3064812).

On 9 September 1917 the brigade that included the 2/8th Warwicks were south east of St Julien, in the area of Aisne Farm. Someone who has a copy of the war diary will be able to refine this for you.

Up to 1920, numbers were regimentally issued and when a man was transferred he was renumbered.

Hi

Both CWGC and Chidgey, the Battalion historian, show his date of death as 3/9/17. The Battalion on that date (they took over the left sector of the front on the night of 2/3rd September) was astride the Wieltje-Gravenstafel Road in disconnected shell-holes with HQ at Capricorn Keep. An abortive attack was made on a concrete strong-point Aisne Farm, the Battalion suffering several casualties from machine-gun fire. Heavy shelling and whizz-bangs were the enemy's main activity

The Battalion moved back into support on the night of 5/6th September in front of BHQ at Wieltje, and after 3 uneventful days moved to Brandhoek by light railway

Regards

Martin

Thank you so much for your swift replies. Apologies for getting the date wrong!

I really appreciate your help

Best wishes

Tracey