Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers- James Wilkinson

Gingercat77

Hi

This is my first posting on the forum so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place!

I am trying to find out information about my husband's great grandfather James Henry Wilkinson who we think served in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. I have had people do look ups to see if he had a medal roll card or service records but sadly nothing has come to light that would match. Family have confirmed that he did win 2 or 3 medals, but these are currently with a distant relative so we are unable to inspect them for more info.

Where could I confirm that this was indeed his regiment? The only evidence we have is a picture of him in dress uniform and the badge on his cap looks like that of the Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Im not sure how to post the photo on this forum, or even if this is allowed.

James Henry Wilkinson was born in 1895 in Belfast, his father James Wilkinson was from England and served in the 2nd Battalion of the Dorset Regiment.

Many thanks for any help anyone is able to offer.

Ginger

Thank you so much, Sam! I will attempt to post the pic!

Ginger

[/quote

ok here it is!

Thanks in advance for your help!

post-56139-1277322121.jpg

Someone with more knowledge than me will prove me totally wrong, but could this be pre-war and a cadet/band uniform? he looks too young to be a Soldier.

Found this guy, could it be him? mis-spelt Wilkenson. J, with an early Connaught Rangers number which would account for the Star and a later "Skins" number.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Sam

Unfortunately this man is John not James. He has two MIC's one Wilkenson the other

Medal card of Wilkinson, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

Connaught Rangers 4797 Private

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 48558 Private

Date 1914-1920

John

Unfortunately this man is John not James. He has two MIC's one Wilkenson the other

Medal card of Wilkinson, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

Connaught Rangers 4797 Private

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 48558 Private

Date 1914-1920

John

Oh thank you for that.... back to square one! I suppose he had to be in one of the Irish regiments though, being born in Belfast?

Ginger,

Not necessarily. A lot of Irish lads joined non Irish regiments. I'm not much help to you I'm afraid. I can't identify the cap badge or uniform either. Hopefully someone else can.

John

Ginger,

This could be him -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Medal card of Wilkinson, James H

Corps Regiment No Rank

Army Service Corps T/33232 Driver

Date 1914-1920

30 pages of pension records on Ancestry -

Name: James Henry Wilkinson

Estimated birth year: abt 1895

Age at Enlistment: 18

Birth Parish: Shankill

Birth County: Antrim

Document Year: 1913

Regimental Number: 33232

Number of Images: 30

enlisted 29th October 1913

Do you have access to Ancestry?

John

NOK details -

Mother Annie.

Sister Adeline.

Wife Elizabeth Wilkinson (Heaney) married St Patricks RC Church, Belfast 1918.

Daughter Adeline born 21/1/1920.

?

If you don't have access to Ancestry your local library might.

John

Nice find John, this will be him in the 1901 Irish Census, I'm guessing the Father will be listed in his Barracks, but I can't find him, were soldiers not listed on the Irish Census? notice the sister is born in Malta, a sure sign of being an "Army brat".

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...t_Hill/1121800/

And in the 1911 Census, Annie the mother is now a Widow.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page..._Street/135926/

Sam

Nice find John, this will be him in the 1901 Irish Census, I'm guessing the Father will be listed in his Barracks, but I can't find him, were soldiers not listed on the Irish Census?

Sam,

Most soldiers I have come across in the Irish Census records were only listed by initials. There are a lot of possibles for W J!

John

Weren't the 2nd Dorsets in South Africa at the time? They certainly took part in the operations around Spion Kop in 1900.

Oh my goodness!!!! Just back from work and logged on to see if any replies!!!

You are all spot on!!! His father was in the Dorset Regiment stationed in Cork in 1901, he did have a sister called Adeline and his mother was called Annie!

Amazing work!! Thank you! I dont have ancestry but really hoping our library will....Thank you both so much! I cant wait to see the service records!

Ginger

Just out of curiosity, do you know when and where James Snr died? he'd have been relatively young at the time if he died pre-1911.

Sam

hi sam

unfortunately we havent worked that out yet....no idea whether he died in England, or Ireland or even during battle abroad!