Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Noticebook of a German soldier

fritz

Hi all,

especially to those members who are able to read the old German Sütterlin script and are able to guess any relation to sites on the Somme. Sorry to say I have some problems to decipher the mentioned names of French towns.

Perhaps not the right question just in an British forum, but knowing the presence of any experts about this matter I will try it here.

I am hoping for your assistence.

Fritz

post-12337-1277314902.jpg

Jack Sheldon may be your best bet.

He is a Forum member and has written some excellent books that require him to have a good understanding of German, and I assume German written during the Great War.

My German is quite good and when I struggle with Great War German I have a German friend (who teaches German and French in an English college) who helps me out.

If you get no luck on the forum get in touch with me and I'll help if I can.

Sean

Hi Sean,

thanks for your reply and your kind readiness to help. That´s what I appreciate on this forum. So you are now my life-belt!

But be sure, if ever I can assist you in any question about German Army in Great War I will be there.

To give the thread a face, I attach a pic of my Grandfather who had written this noticebook. He is the left one on the pic.

Cheers

Fritz

post-12337-1277398043.jpg