Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northamptonshire Regiments 1911 Census

warproject

Hi All.

I have found the 1st and 2nd Batt. of the above regiment.

Does anyone have the references for any others please.

Sandy

There are unlikely to be many entries for other battalions of the Regiment. The only two other battalions of the Regiment in existence at the time would be the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion - formerly the 3rd Militia Battalion, that was part time apart from during the war years (in 1901 many of them were in South Africa). There should only be a Headquarters training staff for them plus some new recuits in training on the 1911 Census.

The same would be applicable for the 4th Battalion (Territorial Force) though to my mind there are likely to be even less HQ staff/recruits in training than the 3rd Battalion on any particular day. HQ was at 83 Sheep Street, Northampton + Drill halls including at Clare Street, Northampton.

There would also be the Depot Staff of the Regulars + basic trainees again.

The same may apply to the Northamptonshire Yeomanry (53 Sheep Street, Northampton + Drill Halls - including at Peterborough at St Leonards Street), and the Peterborough Battery of Artillery (at Queen Street, Peterborough)

Be aware that many of the 1st Battalion had arrived back from India/Aden only a couple of weeks before, so there are many soldiers from 1st Battalion on Leave that were granted on their return from overseas duty, and these men are thus shown with their families or friends, rather than at Devonport.

I might be able to track references later, but I don't want to start the "Clock" ticking on any free period until later.

Steve.

Been "on the Clock":

Northamptonshire Regiment Depot:

1911 Census

Leicester Road Northampton

Northampton

Reference RG14PN8422 RD163 SD1 ED36 SN9999

Steve.

Thanks Steve.

I had used my time by 8.00p.m. but can do it on Sunday.

I managed to get down 300+ images and does my hand hurt today.

I save as djvu images and then I can change them to bitmaps at leisure.

Sandy

Sorry I couldn't post the details earlier - I didn't have time to fit in my 90 minutes before I went fly swatting (badminton).

I haven't double checked but I think the Depot listing will include the both the Regular recruits in training and the Special Reservists recruits in training. I shall double check the names I downloaded last night against MICs and enlistment dates to see if they do in include both, or if one or the other is still unaccounted for.

I'm not convinced that there will be any T.F. men in barracks on Census day.

Steve.

Hi Steve.

Thanks to your assistance I managed to download the Barracks which as

you say was in what was called Leicester Road at that time.

I also did Weedon Barracks and others.

Thanks again.

Sandy