Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Number Search

shippingsteel

I have recently uncovered this item that has what I believe to be a service number stamped on it. You can just make it out on the attached photo. The number is T6244. I believe the T could stand for a Territorial serviceman but I'm not really that familiar with the British system of identification. The bayonet was originally made in December 1917 and got reissued again in 1922, so that gives some idea of the time frame involved. Any assistance with tracking down the background of whoever may have carried this piece would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-1277286921.jpg

The year of manufacture (1917>) may go to rule out a Territorial aspect to the number as the whole Territorial Force was subjected to a renumbering excercise where they were issued with 6 digit numbers (5 digit in a few units)

I think ASC may have prefix letters but I'm not all that well up on them. Possibly the LLT may have more.

Hywyn

The year of manufacture (1917>) may go to rule out a Territorial aspect to the number as the whole Territorial Force was subjected to a renumbering excercise where they were issued with 6 digit numbers (5 digit in a few units) I think ASC may have prefix letters but I'm not all that well up on them. Possibly the LLT may have more.

Thanks for the tip - I have now managed to find the page concerning the renumbering on the LLT under Insights.! Thanks.!

Cheers, S>S

It's not a personal service number.. its a weapon serial number. Weapons = firearms or otherwise, in the British and Commonwealth Forces.... were never officially stamped with an individuals service number (except for the clasp knife), but were matched... = Bayonet to Rifle. Your example is one of those, and are quite common. Other common stamping found will be on the bayonet pommel = Rifle Rack Number, and / or... Battalion prefix.

All that is required to research now, is which SMLE manufacturer or assembler... used the prefix letter 'T', and for what time period?

Seph

Thanks Bootnecks, after reading more about how the British system of service numbers worked on the LLT, I realised I must have been barking up the wrong tree. It was the T prefix which had me thinking that way initially. With that thought crossed off the list, serial number was the next that came to mind, so thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers, S>S

All that is required to research now, is which SMLE manufacturer or assembler... used the prefix letter 'T', and for what time period?

Seph

Enfield produced SMLEs with the T prefix to their serial numbers in 1917 and 1918.

BSA used T in 1908 and Ishapore used a T prefix on 2A/A1 rifles in 1967

Chris

You beat me to it Chris. I was just about to come back with the news of some success with finding a reference for that number. :)

From "The Lee-Enfield Story", page 558, it would seem either Enfield RSAF or B.S.A. (Birmingham Small Arms) could have made a MkIII* SMLE some time during 1917/18 that would have borne that T prefix serial number. This also matches with the bayonet production date of 12 '17 and then being allotted to its rifle in early 1918, so it seems all ends well.!! (That book is becoming quite handy .... and as always kudos to the forum for easing the process) :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Thank you for the 'T' prefix verification Chris.... much apreciated.

Seph