Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Btn KOYLI

johnnie

I was wondering if any members might be able to help me. I am trying to find out where the 6th Btn KOYLI were on the 10th May 1917.

I think they had taken part in the Third Battle of the Scarpe (3rd/4th May) however was wondering where they were after this.

Any help would be great,

Jonathan

I was wondering if any members might be able to help me. I am trying to find out where the 6th Btn KOYLI were on the 10th May 1917.

I think they had taken part in the Third Battle of the Scarpe (3rd/4th May) however was wondering where they were after this.

Any help would be great,

Jonathan

I think i have the info on my home pc, will look it up tonight unless someone else comes up with it meantime !,

regards,

John.

That would be great. I think they had three men killed in action on the 10th so I'm not sure where they were.

Jonathan

Looks like they were still in the Arras area, i think cherisy is a village south-east of Arras,

regards,

John.

I'm sure I have the war diary for this battalion. I'll check and post details.

cheers

Jonathan

The extract above looks accurate. 14th Division gave orders on the 10th that 43rd Brigade will take over from 53rd Brigade (18th Division) to be complete by 6.00am on the 11th. Quote

6th KOYLI will take over the new front from 10th Essex Regt., and the southern portion of HERON IBIS and JACKDAW from 6th DCLI.

This trench map (care of Linesman) from July shows the trenches mentioned. (the front did not move between 10th May and July)

post-28845-1277317597.jpg

If you are looking at a casualty the May battalion diary from Jeremy may have some detail; I only have the April one. During this type of period though, relieving other units or being relieved, casualties were not unusual and are rarely given more than a cursory comment in a diary.

Jim

Sorry, after checking I realise I don’t have the war diary. However, from John & Jim’s posts I think you get the idea of where they were.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

Many thanks for the replies. It certainly pins down the area where they were which is what I was after.

I'll have to dif the war diary out next time I'm at the PRO.

Johnathan