Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

159 F.A. Bde (Glasgow)

aengland

Good people

As you can see I am a relative newcomer to the forum....

I am tracing the war service of an Edward Deanie (for a friend) who was in the 159th F.A. Bde (Glasgow) and I am intrigued as to the history of this unit.... I assume it is a Field Artillery Unit from the 159th Brigade (CLIX) but when I look on the 'Long, Long Trail' website the unit is not listed (well I can't see it!). My somewhat limited library doesn't help me either, but I guess somewhere on the Forum is an expert who knows about them!

I am particularly interested as to where they served on the Western Front..... I'm not sure that a war diary exists for them, but I am also hoping that someone might be able to confirm that one way or another.

I have the detail of Edward Deanie from Ancestry and that has helped considerably with providing information on this soldier.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew

I think there has been a slip on the numbering of RFA Brigades on the LLT. CLIX seems to be shown with an extra Roman numeral CLVIX (which doesn't conform to usual practices).

159 Bde RFA was with 35 Div which landed in France Feb 1916. IOt's story is in War Diary WO95/2474 and runs from Feb 1916 to Mar 1919.

Sotonmate

Dear Sotonmate

Thank you very much indeed..... I am at the National Archives in a few weeks time and will take some time out to look for, and at, the War Diary.

Greatly appreciate your help.... my friend will be thrilled

Andrew