Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory medal named upside down

27thBN

I have just got a group from a very big auction house in uk the victory is named correctly but reads correct from other side ie the great war for civilisation side

I have never seen one just a tired hand doing the naming or not ,if any member has one please give me your feedback and ideally a picture of it.

Thanks MC

Tony,

Not WW1 but I have my Grans brothers Korea Medals, one of which is named upside down.

Human error I suppose.

Although I think if buying a group/medal like this then you should be informed about it before handing over your hard earned...

Neil

Mistakes happen! Even if there were only 0.01% mistakes, for 6 million medals that would be 600 errors. I do not know of a system reliant on humans that produces such a low percentage.

Not an uncommon occurence,I have had a handful of Victorys & BWM ;MMWM,even TFWM so named over the years,I would imagine it was just a case of if the blank was placed in the naming jig correctly & if not;if the technician could be a*s*d to change it round.....

Although I think if buying a group/medal like this then you should be informed about it before handing over your hard earned...

Not sure it is that important,the medals are correctly named,not amended; just named to read from the reverse rather than the obverse,I cannot see such an "error" making any difference to price/value,just an interesting historical anomaly.....

True Harry, and I personally wouldn't be put off if buying such a medal but on the other hand, if I was selling one I'd certainly mention it... Just by mentioning it you quash any problems that may occur when the buyer receives it.

Neil

True Harry, and I personally wouldn't be put off if buying such a medal but on the other hand, if I was selling one I'd certainly mention it... Just by mentioning it you quash any problems that may occur when the buyer receives it.

Neil

Thanks both I am asking as the medal in question is in a expensive group of 9 and if it not right well the value will drop a lot its in a DSO,MC Gallantry group from probably the equal biggest Auction housein UK but no mention of being named upside down ,i would agree with neil as a courtesy it should have been noted

Thanks if anybody has a one a picture please by all means post it .Or any other comments

I think before you make any decisions, get some pictures and real evidence of other examples so named, if the group was mine and I can only guess at the cost, I wouldn't sleep until I knew that it was right. Yes you can blame slack medal namers but I'm not so sure they were that slack.

I have a good number of medals in my NZEF collection that are named 'upside down' - Generally the Victory medal but some times the BWM also. Not cause for alarm in my book & generally not noted as such by auction houses.

Any pictures, I have never seen one impressed upside down.

Any pictures, I have never seen one impressed upside down.

Not with me at work sorry - But if you vist the British Medal Forum you will find lots of threads on the topic

Cheers

Had a quick look, couldn't see any pictures though, will re-visit.

Had a quick look, couldn't see any pictures though, will re-visit.

Ok - I'll take some tonight if you don't come accross any in the meantime.

Cheers

Ok - I'll take some tonight if you don't come accross any in the meantime.

Cheers

Hi looking very much to a picture of another that is named upside down ,the answer of why makes perfect sense but i have not seen another as yet in all my years of collecting ,

as auchonvillerssomme said He would want it right The group is very expensive ,not that if it was a just a trio i wouldn't care but i care a lot more for obvious reasons.

It has a DSO,MC 15 trio QSA,KSA and more medals including WW2 in the group.MC

Hi looking very much to a picture of another that is named upside down ,the answer of why makes perfect sense but i have not seen another as yet in all my years of collecting ,

as auchonvillerssomme said He would want it right The group is very expensive ,not that if it was a just a trio i wouldn't care but i care a lot more for obvious reasons.

It has a DSO,MC 15 trio QSA,KSA and more medals including WW2 in the group.MC

Fully understand your concern. I think one of my NZ DSO groups has a VIC named 'upside down' also. I'll post some snaps tonight.

Cheers

Fully understand your concern. I think one of my NZ DSO groups has a VIC named 'upside down' also. I'll post some snaps tonight.

Cheers

Please do I can relax... nothing like seeing another the same with your own eyes to confirm they exist

Thanks

Please do I can relax... nothing like seeing another the same with your own eyes to confirm they exist

Thanks

As promised, here are a few snaps of Victory medals in my collection which are named 'upside down'

Cheers

post-19785-1277363468.jpg

post-19785-1277363496.jpg

post-19785-1277363524.jpg

Thanks very much for the pictures .I can enjoy the group now. MC

MC,

I hope you do enjoy them. One of the pleasures of collecting and when doubt lurks...boy does it lurk. Glad your mind is at rest

Best regards

TT