Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What regiment was he in

ymfmitchell

Hi

I have just acquired this family photo taken around or just before WW1 - can anyone identify the uniform and cap badge for me - thanks

Yvonne

post-45104-1277208441.jpg

Hi Yvonne,

There are a few possibles but looks most like Royal Munster Fusiliers to me.

John

Hi Yvonne,

There are a few possibles but looks most like Royal Munster Fusiliers to me.

John

The chap whom I think is in photo was from Ballymena in Co Antrim - family members were in Royal Irish Rifles and Inniskilling Fusiliers Could it be one of these ????

Yvonne

To me it could be either a Royal Dublin Fusilier or Royal Munster Fusilier, certainly not a Royal Irish Rifles badge.

Rob

Yes Inniskillings is a possibility.

John

Royal Munster Fusiliers but hey its a difficult picture to get detail out of.

MC

Ditto Munsters or Inniskillings but could have even been Tyneside Irish if by chance he ever lived in the North East of England. Has a 1908 patt. belt so after that date, type of cap less common after the 1st half of the war. Looks like Fusiliers grenade parts of his shoulder titles may be showing on his epaulettes. Regards, Paul.

Almost certainly 1914 or earlier, judging by the big collar and distance between the rifle pads and pocket tops of the tunic.

Almost certainly 1914 or earlier, judging by the big collar and distance between the rifle pads and pocket tops of the tunic.

I have just been told the photo was taken before WW1 as it was sent to a lady who died in 1913 so looks like he was a Fusllier and as others in family were in Inniskilllings I think that looks a strong possibility - I will send it to their museum and see if they can confirm. Thanks for ruling out the Irish Rifles.

Yvonne