Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this tunic a real one

john gregory

What are members thoughts on this tunic on Ebay, item number 380244800454

What are members thoughts on this tunic on Ebay, item number 380244800454

Can only view on my phone at the moment, so maybe better or worse than I can see, but doesn't look - from the description - like one you'd want. Fair play to the seller: totally frank about its flaws, but not one to spend money on.

Cheers,

GT.

I think this is a genuine tunic of around the end of war or just postwar period. It is a bit of an oddity with the strange lining combination and the pointed pockets, plus the work under the arms and replaced shoulder straps is the sort of thing one sees in ex theatrical props. Not something I would want for myself, but as GT says, the seller is being honest and upfront about its faults.

I don't think all the genuine ones have quite vanished from the market yet. Original, typical examples should still turn up. Also the price that the Somerset one sold for is in no way typical, as that was plastered with original "battle insignia".

John,

That's a strange one. Look at the upper pocket flaps, more like a Canadian tunic in style. The shaping and size of the epaulettes is distinctly odd too.

The poor quality photos don't help much and they make it difficult to form a concrete opinion. I wouldn't want it personally. I think it possible that it was an old theatrical stock jacket, much chopped about.

Tocemma

Clickable link for ease of finding:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...%3D1&_rdc=1

I would have it for a gap filler only till something better come along.

Dan

A magnifying glass and outdoor light (at least here in New Mexico) might very well reveal traces of a costume house stamp somewhere in the lining.

Cheers, Bill