Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Donald McKinnon Anderson 7th Aygylls

steviechelle

Hi just looking to see if anyone can recommend any more reading on the 7th Battalion Aygyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

So far through some members of the forum I got some pages of a book on the 7th Battalion and I have recently read a book on the 51st Highland Division of which 7th Battalion were part of. The area I am particularly interested in is the period around March 1918 around the Beaumetz area.

Donald was captured on the 23rd March 1918 according to his ICRC record which I received a few months ago and I am just trying to piece together where he may have served and what he may have gone through.

Also he died as a POW just a few months later on 25th July 1918 and would there be anyway of finding out what he may have endured during the period of his capture. According to the ICRC his cause of death was pneumonia but according to his obituary it was starvation and fever which doesn't surprise me based on information given by members of the forum about treatment of prisoners.

Got some information from the Argylls War diary from the museum but unfortunately it was only a few lines.

I suppose I am trying to fill as many gaps as I can

Thanks

Steven

Cheers Mike that is the book I have just finished and it was excellent especially as around the time of Donald's capture there were a few references to the 7th Argylls and in particular one section saying that the Argylls held the line for time even though their flanks were turned.

Regards

Steven