Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 13 Hooked Quillon (Trials) Bayonet

4thGordons

I waited until the auction ended to post this (Just sold for $1215.00 or about 821pounds at today's exchange rate) - but I thought some people might like to look at the pictures.

I should imagine this type is a good candidate for the rarest Great War era British bayonet (perhaps the Pritchard Bayonet for the Webley also?).

LINK TO AUCTION HERE

NB it is not my intention to initiate a discussion of the veracity of this item which to my inexpert eye looks just fine (almost identical to that illustrated in Skennerton and Richardson p 199), but simply to provide access to some reference pictures of an infrequently seen type. I have no connection to seller and I was not the buyer!

Chris

Nice one Chris..... excellent... well linked.

These don't come onto the marked that frequently, and out of a museum I've seen only three trials 'p13's for sale in the past ten years = x2 Vickers and this example. Thank you for the update and for sharing.

Seph

The interesting thing with that bayonet is that Enfield and Vickers produced the original trials versions of the P1913, Enfield with the hook quillon and Vickers without the quillon. Then it was left over to Remington and Winchester in the US to take up the task of providing the bulk of the production, after Vickers crashed out of the equation by only making a 1000 or so. I believe the reasons given was that they were too preoccuppied with supplying the MG's and other armaments at the time. Does anyone have any more details on that.??

Cheers, S>S

What was the connection to Panama?

What was the connection to Panama?

Apparently some of these P1913 Trials bayonets were picked up by US Marines when they went into that country. The story I heard was that they were found amongst a stack of gear in a locker at some base. Some of the guys grabbed a couple as souvenirs not really knowing what they were, just thinking they might be worth a few bucks back home. Little did they know they were exceptionally rare finds. My question is how the hell did they get there in the first place.? Obviously they must have still been using the P'14 or M'17 in recent times down there - paramilitary types I'm guessing.??

Cheers, S>S

• 5 months later...

Gents:

I just came upon this thread and the auction was pulled because of age. Did anyone save a picture and any other information on this bayonet? There is one of these that matches the narrative description that I am cleaning for a friend right now! It is dated 1915, has regimental markings, and was passed down in the man's family sheathed in a very nice US-issued Model 1917 bayonet scabbard. I will ask more questions when see the man on Monday.

Dave Stieghan

AKA, dbar1918

With an apparent date of 1915 I think you will find the one you are cleaning is just a standard P1913 or P1907 bayonet. Let us know what the markings are when you get a chance to check it out again.

Cheers, S>S