Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Dragon Mine 22nd June

Muerrisch

Please remember the men who died above and below ground at the Red Dragon Crater.

Like the crater itself, they are gone but not forgotten.

RIP

Tunnelers William Hackett and Thomas Collins were victims of a cave-in caused by the detonation of the Red Dragon Mine, and all those who died that day were remembered at the unveiling of the Tunnelers Memorial at Givenchy-lès-la-Bassée on Saturday (19 July).

In Memoriam

Cpl Thomas Crowe Williams MM of Beaumaris and his comrades of "B" Company 2nd RWF who bore the brunt of the explosion.

LST_164

Remembering...

Thomas Collins was a Swansea Battalion man though I confess to not having turned up much on him in my researches. Jeremy Banning has done a tremendous anmount of work in that respect.

Bernard

As Mick said, the 2/RWF were certainly remembered over the weekend as they were mentioned in Peter Barton’s speech. The curator of the RWF museum, Brian Owen, attended and it was great that he could be there as he told me it was the first time he had been to Givenchy.

Details of Thomas Collins can be found here: http://www.tunnellersmemorial.com/ThomasCollins.htm

I came back with the grand total of two on my camera, both out of focus! I simply hadn't the time to take any. However, there are some on this link Mick:

We had an official photographer so should get some on the website within a few days. That is all dependant upon fitting that in around existing work.

Cheers Jeremy, I'll visit it when I'm across in October.

Mick