Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 47 Badge

ph0ebus

Hi all,

Saw this for sale and while I like it I have no idea who made it, for what purpose and whether it is original or not. Are these common? Are they government issue? Who would wear them and why?

!Bvs8hIgEGk~$(KGrHqQOKnMEvyFryqulBMFoTI3

!Bvs8jhgBWk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEvv+I+Eq8BMFoTPi

Any advice, info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Daniel

post-32240-1277001681.jpg

post-32240-1277001852.jpg

Hi Daniel,

you should ask the guys of feldgrau forum. There are the best experts for things like this.

In my opinion it is an remembrance badge for those men who served in this years in FAR 47. Not an official one but from a comradeship union.

Fritz

Hi Daniel,

you should ask the guys of feldgrau forum. There are the best experts for things like this.

In my opinion it is an remembrance badge for those men who served in this years in FAR 47. Not an official one but from a comradeship union.

Fritz

Good idea. I will crosspost forthwith. :)

-Daniel

So, the debate in Feldgrau is whether this badge might be Prussian or Austrian. Anyone on here care to weigh in? I could fill a thimble (and have room at the top) with what I know about badges, so any advice would be great.

The badge appears to have no maker's mark, which of course would help clarify things.

-Daniel

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I would like to resurrect this thread from the great beyond, if I may. I have been searching since this thread 'ended' for some evidence of an Austrian regiment going by the abbreviation FAR 47 and I have entirely struck out. Does anyone know if there was one and what town/region it was affiliated with? I am still not entirely convinced this is Austrian, though I admit, the prevalence of Austrian cap badges (as opposed to Prussian cap badges) suggests that this might be a possibility.

-Daniel

I would like to resurrect this thread from the great beyond, if I may. I have been searching since this thread 'ended' for some evidence of an Austrian regiment going by the abbreviation FAR 47 and I have entirely struck out. Does anyone know if there was one and what town/region it was affiliated with? I am still not entirely convinced this is Austrian, though I admit, the prevalence of Austrian cap badges (as opposed to Prussian cap badges) suggests that this might be a possibility.

Although I can't find any information on an Austrian Field Artillery Regiment 47, there were 44 K.u.K. divisions by the end of the war, and each had two numbered field-artillery regiments, for a total of 88.

Therefore there had to have been one numbered 47.

Daniel,

there was a k.u.k. Feldartillerieregiment Nr. 47. However, it was not formed until February 1918. Its one and only commander was Oberstleutnant Josef Schmoczer v. Meczenzéf. It was a component of the 47. Infanterie-Division and serving in Albania at the war's end.

Regards

Glenn

Ok Daniel, here is what I think: it is a Feldartillerieregiment 47 post war commemoration medal from the veteran association, dating most likely from the 20s or early 30s. There are several examples of Abzeichen (badges)in the web from imperial army units NOT only ex-KuK forces. So if some smart guy does not come up with 100% proof of being KuK , my personal pick is -its "your" regiment!

Tom, Glenn, egbert, all,

This is very helpful. Putting my own opinions aside, I wanted to try and just do a sort of realistic analysis of all possibilities of whose regiments this pin might be from. The k.u.k. FAR 47 seems to have been effectively ruled out, as they did not exist during the time period listed on the badge. So far, I am not seeing anything that tells me this is definitively not Prussian FAR 47. Of course, if evidence surfaces that tells me this is not their badge, I'll accept that. :)

-Daniel

PS, as a part of this process I hope to compare this badge with known materials relating to each possible regiment it might belong to. I have not encountered anything for the Austrian FAR 47 but I have the Unit History for Prussian FAR 47 and the lettering on this badge is consistent with the style of lettering on the badge:

FAR%2047%20Unit%20History0002%20crop.jpg

By no means a smoking gun, but one piece of evidence to consider...

Uh oh, this similar one is KuK

Hi egbert,

It is similar. I guess my next question, is how often were known K.u.k badges not marked with 'k.u.k'? I'll check some of the sites I found and see if I can work out the percentages. :)

This also does not solve the conundrum posed by Glenn, in that Austrian FAR 47 did not even exist in 1914-1916. Quite a puzzle!

-Daniel

Batteries 3 and 4 of k. u. k. Festung=Artillerie=Regiment Nr. 2 fought on the West Front in 1914; they were 30.5 cm Skoda Motor=Moerser batteries; they were supposed to then go to Antwerp, where my grand-father was in charge of suppying the ammunition for the siege guns, but at the last minute they were instead sent down to the area near Verdun. Then they went back to Austria. I think that they also visited the West Front in 1916. I have more info if anyone is interested.

Egbert;

Is that just a photo you found on the web, or somewhere, or one someone we know owns?

Bob Lembke

Bob, the badge is from the www (google for "Kappenabzeichen far" and click on images)and should only serve as a KuK sample for Daniel that his badge might also be one from Austria. Actually we are not looking into FAR 2