Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tam O Shanter

Anzac16

Hi

I have a hard question for you gentlemen.

I got this Tam O Shanter with a Seaforth Highlanders badge

But clearly there was a other badge on it because ther are other holes under the Seaforth badge with 4 a 5 CM between the holes.

there is also a difference in colour where the badge was (hard to see).

Is there someone who can say what i would have be?

tam1i.jpg

tam2.jpg

tam3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You have a Scottish T.O.S ,which the owner could have been transfered from one Scottish regiment to another for various reasons.

Dan

Hi there,

As an interesting take on this subject, might I add the following.

The TOS may have been badged with the SNCO version of the cap badge. This was a 3-D Stag with a separate scroll underneath. The Officers pattern badge had the addition of the cypher (an "L") and a vice regal coronet in between the antlers. As this TOS does not have a hole in this position, I'd guess at the former.

Rob

The TOS may have been badged with the SNCO version of the cap badge. This was a 3-D Stag with a separate scroll underneath. The Officers pattern badge had the addition of the cypher (an "L") and a vice regal coronet in between the antlers. As this TOS does not have a hole in this position, I'd guess at the former.

As per:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVgrwur

grwur.jpg

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqsORtJ&code=2

sORtJ.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your awnsers i think it will be hard to find out what badge there was on the TOS.

But just a nother one does a TOS had a backing? was this not regulatet or did the soldiers them selfs took it of the TOS?

Thank you for your awnsers i think it will be hard to find out what badge there was on the TOS.

But just a nother one does a TOS had a backing? was this not regulatet or did the soldiers them selfs took it of the TOS?

Soldiers were still taking the lining out of their TOS to make it look smart, 40 years later and may still be doing it yet. An altered one was known as a ticket hat.

• 2 weeks later...

hi anzac the balmoral you have looks like a number of canadian issued caps i have in my collection (mostly cdn wwii). the canadian seaforths came from the west coast mostly but as casualties mounted would have been reinforced from other regiment that where not yet commited. some would have been canadian"scottish" units i.e. "the scots fusilers" which was mobilized but never went into the field.hope this info may help.