Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Cheshire Battalion at Loos October 1915

potty5

Dear forum members, I am currently writing a book on the Great War losses of Crewe and Nantwich and have noticed that on October 3, 1915 quite a few local men died at Loos. I know the Germans launched an offensive on the line of the 84th Brigade but are there other details like the position in the line of the 2nd Cheshire's (i.e. where they were at Loos on this day). Thanks very much, Mark Potts

In a nutshell --The 84th Brigade was ordered into the line on the night of 30th Sept/1 October 1915 - relief of 83 Brigade. Northumberland Fusiliers and 2/Cheshires were in the southern portion of the Hohenzollern Redoubt and adjoining trenches. On 3 October the Germans attacked all along the line of 84 Brigade - all the Cheshires bombers were killed, Major Roddy led a bayonet charge - several other counter attacks by Cheshires to no avail. Later in the morning another attack by the Germans on the left of 84 Brigade, drove through the Welch and swept down on the Cheshires - Cheshires line driven back, blocked by C Company Northumberland Fusiliers. Night of 5/6 October brigade was relieved by 2 Guards Brigade. Cheshires casualties: 6 Officers & 43 men killed, 7 Officers and 143 men wounded and 166 men missing, none of the missing were ever recovered.

Brief but should answer your question.

Jerry