Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Yorkshire Regiment

Jim Mitchell

Hello all. I have just bought a WW1 pair to 25926 Private Michael McManus of the East Yorkshire Regiment. I have seen on the Dinsdale file he was awarded the Military Medal "which I don`t have" for the raid on 8/9th June 1918, it also states that he was born in Whitley Bay.

I have looked at the 1911 and the 1901 census returns but cannot determine which Michael Mc Manus is my man. Any suggestions please.

Jim,

mmm.. the only thing I can input is that he was transferred to the East Yorkshire Regiment October 1917 from the East Riding Yeomanry. Not sure which Michael is your man on the census though.

Regards Charles

Thankyou Charles. I`m sunning myself in Tenerife at the moment, so I will investigate further on my return. Best regards.

Jim,

mmm.. the only thing I can input is that he was transferred to the East Yorkshire Regiment October 1917 from the East Riding Yeomanry. Not sure which Michael is your man on the census though.

Regards Charles

hi charles, you sound like you may know a bit about the east yorkshires. as i have put on annother part of this site, i am researching my dissertation which is about the e.y. regt. my diss will disscuss the battle of the ancre and ask the question "is it hulls forgotten battle". it will question why hulls memorial is at oppy instead of at the site of the ancre as the e.y. lost more men there, and by this time the 10th and 11th batts were made up of a number of men from outside of east yorkshire (draftees and replacements etc.). my initial theory is that it was a class thing, the 13th being t'others and the 10th & 11th being clerks etc. what do you think?

Mick,

A question often asked, both the 12th Battalion (138 KIA) and the 13th Battalion (140 KIA) lost more men on the 13th November 1916. Than the 11th Battalion (56 KIA) and the 10th Battalion (69 KIA) combined did on the 3 May 1917.

Almost certainly a 'Class thing' as the 10th Battalion (Toffs) had fathers in many of the decision making places in the 1920s and them themselves in the 30s 40s and 50s several making Lord Mayor and Sheriff.

Nearly half of the 10th Battalion where granted commissions.

My question is why is the Hull Great War Memorial in France and not in Hull............ how many of the rank and file or their families, could get to France in them days.

Regards Charles

Mick,

A question often asked, both the 12th Battalion (138 KIA) and the 13th Battalion (140 KIA) lost more men on the 13th November 1916. Than the 11th Battalion (56 KIA) and the 10th Battalion (69 KIA) combined did on the 3 May 1917.

Almost certainly a 'Class thing' as the 10th Battalion (Toffs) had fathers in many of the decision making places in the 1920s and them themselves in the 30s 40s and 50s several making Lord Mayor and Sheriff.

Nearly half of the 10th Battalion where granted commissions.

My question is why is the Hull Great War Memorial in France and not in Hull............ how many of the rank and file or their families, could get to France in them days.

Regards Charles

hi charles, so you think i should be checking the list of councilors in the 1920's then? thanks for your reply

Jim,

Regards Charles

Hi Charles. Given that Michael was transferred from the East Riding Yeomanry, would there be any clue as to where he enlisted into the Yeomanry, or the general region he would have come from to enlist in the Yeomanry. Regards.

Hi,

Hope the break went well, Michael's Next of Kin lived in Whitley bay and the number group suggest north east, South Shields, Newcastle, Middlesbrough Hull.

Regards Charles

Thankyou Charles I will keep digging. Best regards.

Hi,

Hope the break went well, Michael's Next of Kin lived in Whitley bay and the number group suggest north east, South Shields, Newcastle, Middlesbrough Hull.

Regards Charles

Hi Charles I have just discovered Pte M Mcmanus in the 7th battalion war diary, June 25th 1918 receiving his MM his number is given as 36456 and not 29526 "which is on his medals and index card"! I have checked in the East Yorkshires in the Great War "Everard Wyrall" and it only lists one MM to McManus with the number 29526. I suppose this could be a mistake on the part of the person typing the war diary as I can find no other reference to any soldier called Mcmanus with the number 36457. It`s interesting to note on the list of recipients of the MM is one Pte W. Gardiner. I have his MM in my collection. I have narrowed down my search to two Michael Mcmanus, both born in 1892. One born in Gateshead and the other in Sunderland. I found service and pension records which discounts all the others. Best Regards