Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Entirely factual remarks about another eBay tunic

Grovetown

Given the hullaboo about eBay items of late, I shall offer no comment on this at all.

It is being sold as an MGC Service Dress, dated 1933.

MGC 1933 Tunic

The MGC was founded in 1915 and disbanded in 1922.

Best wishes,

GT.

So called patten 22 tunic dated 1933, how could it be MGC, epouletts have had other titles fitted, repro flashes, shocking price, I suppose some one will put a bid on !!!!!!

He has stated Pre War as well, Lol

Dealer must think he his going to get £1000 +.

Have been discussing that behind the scenes. It appears correct.

The only difficulty is that it predates the TF battalions of 1908. I have a dim recollection that some 'twisted cord' tunics are seen in the BEF in the very, very early part of the war - but I have no sense of them being/ remaining badged up to the VBs.

Consequently, while an apparently genuine Service Dress of the 1903-1904 period (worn out until 1908), it's probably seen as much "combat" in the Great War as I have.

Cheers,

GT.

Because it's MGC? I can't access EBay in the office, but the thinnest chance is that it could be Canadian (sight unseen) as the CMGC lasted into the 30s.

Best one I ever saw was a dealer at the long-gone Tilbury fair trying to sell a pair of white on khaki titles

'Royal Montreal Regiment/MG' .. 'Come on, or I'll stick them on a WW1 tunic!' Except according to my pal who would later be 2iC of the RMR... "We didn't go MG until 1934..."

It's got nothing to do with 1914-1918.

I'd say it's On Topic because it purports to be a tunic of an almost exclusively Great War unit Chris.

Best wishes,

GT.

I can't access EBay in the office,

Seems to be an English idea at the workplace no access to certain websites of course there are ways around this !!

MC ..sorry for the minor Hijack

I think Auchonvillersson and Grovetown have the wrong tunic, this thread are discussing the Pattn 22 tunic badged up to the MGC which is on ebay not the Gordons.

I think Auchonvillersson and Grovetown have the wrong tunic, this thread are discussing the Pattn 22 tunic badged up to the MGC which is on ebay not the Gordons.

We're talking about both: latterly the tunic linked in Post #4, being offered by the same vendor as the 'MGC' one. Simultaneously relevant perhaps then...

Cheers,

GT.

We're talking about both: latterly the tunic linked in Post #4, being offered by the same vendor as the 'MGC' one. Simultaneously relevant perhaps then...

Cheers,

GT.

Sorry GT and Auchonvillersson, my mistake, JG

As, yes well if it isn't 'RZM' marked this vendor is mainly clueless unless teh thing is plainly self evident or the source has done the resarch. I suspect hes responding to market demand for badged WW I associated tunics. But to be fair they do get by luck decent legitmate items too. I think they are playing both sides of the field here, sins of ommission versus mistaken claims. A good costume though but prices are too high.