Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Bell

John Adams

I have this photo of my great grandfather Thomas Bell from Ayrshire. Family tales have it that he served in the army prior to the Great War then went back to being a miner until re-enlisting during the Great War. I have not been able to find a medal record or any record of him at Kew. It was rumoured that he served at home either on the Firth of Clyde or the Firth of Forth. His home at the outbreak of war was either Benquat or Rankinston in Ayrshire.. Can any one have a shot at the Regiment from this poor photo. An Aunt did say she thought he served in the Black Watch. I do recall at my grandmothers house there was a tiny white poor carved stone Sphinx in her button box , just the sort of small souvenir a soldier might bring home from pre-war service abroad.

H

ThomasBell2.jpg

Hi H. Just to bump this up a bit, tyo see if anyone can help you. I'm no expert on uniforms, but I don't think Black Watch.

Possibly 3/4th 3/5th 3/6th 3/7th Gordon Highlanders.

From The Long Long Trail

" 3/4th, 3/5th, 3/6th and 3/7th Battalions

Formed at home bases in February (3/4th) and May (others) 1915 and moved to Ripon in November 1915.

8 April 1916 : renamed as Reserve Battalions at Ripon.

1 September 1916 : 4th absorbed the 5th, 6th and 7th Bns. Moved to Edinburgh in February 1918 and on in September to Dreghorn (Kilmarnock) where it remained as part of the Forth Garrison. "

Am sure someone will put us right soon :thumbsup:

Good luck

Mike