Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Cheshires

Bernard_Lewis

I've been contacted by someone who has a diary covering three months from Jan 1917 onwards while in the 16th Cheshires. In the name of R. D. Eaton of Swansea. In 'Z' company, apparently and service number 21410.

Can anyone summarise what the 16th were doing between say Jan and April 1917? I think he survived the war and wonder if he got wounded and hence stopped writing it up.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Bernard

Bernard

Part of 35th Division who were in IV Corps of 4th Army. In February the Corps relieved the French on the right of the line between Genermont and the Amiens-Roye road. This was as a result of the agreement between Haig and Nivelle to allow the latter to build up forces for the April offensive. I have few other details but I can't imagine the diary has a great deal of material in it other than routine movements and daily life in and out of the trenches. Not that there couldn't be interesting events in that scenario as well.

Jim

From McGreal's Cheshire Bantams:

Jan - md Feb - out of the line reorganising.

They are then in and out over the remaining period but the book has very little mention of them, giving over the relevenet pages mainly to the 15th Bn

Thanks gents.

Bernard

January 1917 – The 16th Battalion was in Duisans, at full strength and employed in working parties. At the end of January the strength is listed as 33 officers and 946 ORs.

In February 1917 the Battalion moved around. The longest time spent in one place was 12 days doing intensive training at Flesselles. The next longest was 5 days clearing trenches and training in Vrely. Battalion Strength is listed as 36 officers and 860 ORs at the end of February.

The Battalion started March off by relieving the 15th Cheshires in the Chilly Sector. They spent about a week there before being relieved for a few days rest and training at Camp de Ballons. They were briefly back in the front line in the Chilly sub sector improving trenches but spent the rest of the month doing railway work. Strength is 35 officers and 634 ORs at the end of March.

The first 2 weeks of April was spent doing training and railway work in Offoy. The Battalion received a number of reinforcements during this time. The first specific mention of Z company is on April 12 when they are shown at Monchy training.

The Battalion was back in the line at Maissemy on the 17th. A lot happened in the last half of April, there are about 4 pages of diary entry and a map of positions (as compared with one page for all of February).

On the 22nd. two platoons from Z company carried out a raid on a sunken road. There were a couple of other raids by other companies before the Battalion briefly was relieved by the 15th Cheshire.

On April 28th the 16th Battalion was ordered to attach a copse which was reported to be strongly held. This attack took place on April 29 by W,X and Y companies, don’t see any reference to Z.

Battalion strength at the end of April was 40 Officers and 781 ORs.

PM me if you want any more details. I’m interested in Eaton’s diary, I believe my relative served with W company.

Thanks very much for that info.

I'll pass it on to the enquirer and ask if the diary can be copied.

Bernard